Re: Weld Pro Stars

bwallace

Did a search and did find some information on wheel size, bolt circle and backspacing, but wanted some feed back before I make the two hour trip to purchase a set of Pro Stars. They are 15x8's, 5x4.75 bolt circle and 4.5 backspacing will I have any problems mounting M/T ET streets 26x10.5x15 and/or radials 245x60x15. These are used and have been told in great condition but if size will be a problem than I will save my funds and buy new next year. I appreciate any comments.

245 s no problem,255 s no problem,mt steets no problem but may need a thin spacer-depends on how square your car is sitting on the frame.

It sits pretty square right now, but will be installing a new set of stock springs and a set of airbags. I was concerned about the fit in relationship to the frame more than the fender lip. Sounds like there shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for the information.

You will only need a spacer likely when and if you go to 28 in slicks. Other wise they will work.

I dunno man, I have 15x8 with 3.5" bs and 28x11.5 Hoosier QT Pros. 10" tread, 11.3" section width. There's only about a pinkie tip clrnc from the frame and the fender lip. It seems to be the right wheel for the max tire size in there without moving the frame inward. On my car a 4.5" bs wouldn't center the tire in the wheelwell like a 3.5" seems to. Just my experience.

TurboTR

I also have the pro stars in 15x8 3.5 bs and am currently running 275/50/15's and have 7/8" between the tire and the frame at the closest point and the body on my can is only off just less than 1/4" I wouldn't be able to run a 4.5 BS and don't know how others can get away with it w/o frame notching.
HTH

4.5 backspace is a lot....most guys can get away with 4", but have my doubts about 4.5.......guys running Welds here use 3.5 on 8.5 rims and they'll fit about everything

Hey Louie,
I have M/T ET streets 28X11.5X15 on Weld drag Lites 15X8 W/ 3.5 backspace. No Rubbing inside, but if I added one more inch of back space, They would definately rub on the frame. (by the way, my axle seems to be centered correctly) The problem I have is rubbing on the outside lip.(both sides equally) I don't really want to roll the fenders, but I may have to unless I can reach an alternative. I have a set of 4.5 back space welds but decided against using them because they didn't look like they would allow enough inside clearance. Are you using a spacer to make 4.5 work? If so, how thick? and last question: no rubbing even when aired down for dragstrip launches? I would much rather switch wheels than roll the fenders. Thanks in advance for the info
Larry

REPLY TO BWALLACE!!!!

bwallace, I tried Weld Prostars exactly like the ones you describe on my car last weekend. They had the same rear spacing (4.5), and they DID NOT FIT at all!! Way too much rear spacing!...even more that the stock GN wheels! You don't want anything with more than 3.5 or it will definitely touch the frame!! Just thought I'd let you know...
'Bye, Claude.

Thanks Claude, I have decided to hold off, turns out the price was to good to be true anyway, these rims have been damaged, but I now have the information I need when I get some funds. Thanks to everyone who responded!!

claude-i dont know if you guys up there are smoking something funny but i got 5 g body cars and all have 4 - 4.5 rear backspacing and none of my wheels hit the frame or the fenders ever.

Same thing we're smokin' down here I guess. IME 4.5" bs won't work right on my '87 TR at least. YMMV.

TurboTR