rattling sound

skyw14

So i just got around to looking at the gn after it sitting in the garage for acouple of months because its just to cold here. And when i parked it i was hearing a lound rattle sound ( metal in a tin can). I thought the flexplate was cracked or bolts were loose on the flex plate but after tonight and pulling the dust cover off everything looked normal. i started it up and crawled back under and im pretty sure its in the torque converter.

has anyone else experience this? what is my best option to go from here?

the car is completly stock at the moment

thanks in advance

This may sound strange but I have a piece of metal loose on the driver side header that makes a rattling sound. The rust ate through the rivet that holds it in place so I get a rattling sound as it moves back and forth against the header. It might be worth a check.

while i was underneath the car i did notice the exhaust mount by the trans came apart but i started it up crawled back under and held it still and still has the rattle pretty sure its the converter but will have a better look at it when i can get it on a lift

I think it is the converter making the rattle noise, if it is a very old converter it is coming apart internally.

due to the converter coming apart its would be better to pull trans apart and look for shavings/ metal correct? if i dont see anything than im fine or just rebuild trans anyways?

due to the converter coming apart its would be better to pull trans apart and look for shavings/ metal correct? if i dont see anything than im fine or just rebuild trans anyways?

reread post #4 .. normal for a Vigilante .. is your converter this color ??

Attachments

• PI VIG C.jpg
    PI VIG C.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 221
nope,

like i said in the beginning car completly stock. stock torque converter 130k on it

Be very thorough in the investigation as noises can be like Phantoms. If you end up pulling the trans/convertor, carefully examine the flexplate and particularly around the crankshaft area, checking bolts for proper torque as well before spending money on a convertor and trans job.
I would even remove the flexplate for thorough examination just to be 100% certain.

Mine makes the same sound. I was thinking it was the torque converter but was not sure. I had Jason Krammer (Race Jace) check it out and he also said it was the converter.

im pretty sure its the converter on mine but to cold to really get into it... i will pull it out soon and check everything because a flexplate could cause same problem. but more than likely i will just have the trans rebuild a better converter put in and i already bought a new flexplate so it should be good after all that

I had a rattle that I thought for sure came from the TC. Turned out that one (or two, don't remember) of the mounting bolts for the main accessory bracket had backed out. The vibrations then migrated to the area of the torque converter.

Of course it was one of the bolts that was hidden from view and could only be see while the car was up on a lift :smile:.