Rattle in motor

nitro33

I have had this noise in my motor for over 2 yrs now ,not sure if its a bearing or not, oil pressure seems fine,it all stated when ,I had my transmission rebuilt when the stator went out ,this is when,I started hearing it.Car runs fine but this noise is driving me nuts any ideas?It does not sound like a rod knock but not sure about a main bearing ,if it was this would it have not locked up by now?You can hear it at idle,and driving ,also checked the headers for cracks but they were good.Will be looking at the torque convertor bolts this weekend along with the flywhell bolts,Any help would be great

maybe if you tried to describe what the sound is it will help someone get an idea of what noise you could possibly be hearing...

Mains tend to sound like a light knock that shows up when you're in between the on and off throttle positions. Any load on the engine either way tends to load them up and the knock would go away.

I have the exact same issue. I have had my car for over two years now and it has always knocked. Oil pressure is fine. Not sure what it is but it is RPM sensitive.

The obvious has been checked. Headers, converter bolts, etc.

two things come to mind,loose flywheel bolts to convertor and cracked flywheel. other than that i would look inside of motor.

Engine rattle

It sounds like some thing loose,I had a bad rod bearing in another car and this is not that,my motor was rebuilt 3 yrs ago and crank was just polished ,standred TRW bearings I started hearing it from the front out of the timing cover area ,but later was under the car and heard then too,could a bad stator have caused the thrust bearing to go bad?When it went bad ,I drove it a few miles to the shop.It does it at idle and when in drive you can hear it ,at first it sounded like a header leak but that was not it,I have seen my oil pressure go down to 36 at around 60 miles per hr when it gets to 200 on the temp so maybe bad main bearing?

It is also temp sensitive. It does not knock when the motor is cold.

Cold, it idles at 70 psi. Warm it idles at 40 psi, drives (65 MPH in OD) at 58 psi.

Motor is stock.

As stated above, it has knocked for the last two years.

I am having exactly the same problem with my 86 T-type. The transmission was just rebuilt also. I have been driving the car like this and haven't seen any adverse problems with the car except that damn rattling noise :mad: I believe it to be a cracked flywheel, but don't have time to pull the tranny to find out and don't have another car to drive right now while I fix it. I am getting the other car ready for the Hot Rod Power Tour. If you investigate and find the problem, please let me know and contact me at wildcard@sw.rr.com Good luck :)