Ram Air Question....

C

Cakes

I have the ATR ram air installed on my 1986 Grand National and I was wondering if it would be benefitial to take the filter assembly out of the case that it is in. The case is directly attached by a 4" tube to the drivers side front air dam (which has a hole in it for the tube) Would I gain anything by taking it out of the case? Thanks for your help!

I've run with the ATR ram air in the case, modified the case for more flow, ran it without the airdam/hose and ran the 14" filter open and NEVER noticed a performance difference (ET or MPH) between any of these different configurations.

With the ATR set up as delivered, I did notice my MAF numbers would not stay at 255, sometimes dropping into the 230's. Removing the hose, solved this.

Since I've sold my ram air, I've been using a 6.5" K&N, the factory airbox top and elbow and I've gone faster than I did with the ATR Ram Air. It's not that ram air doesn't work, its just that it doesn't work enough to notice its working. You may want to investigate some of the big mouth cold air intakes. In theory, these should work better than a dryer hose ram air system.