Radio delete, ipod in place. Ideas?

I might see if I can hook up a mp3 player to my amp just to try it out and see what it does. If it works (not sure if it will with the amp I have) then I'll let you know how the quality is.

Read my posts. :p

The headphone amp., which is what the output goes through when using the IPOD volume control, is probably equalized/filtered and not featuring a flat frequency response curve, as it's made to run through crappy earbuds not real amplifiers and speakers.

Perhaps Apple may list specs. for the earphone frequency response and distortion etc. but I doubt it. Apple kind of sucks for real tech. info. and data however.

The direct docking cord I listed above, is made for RCA line level outputs with no volume control used in the IPOD. It's a good flat response output at full line level volume.

Wire up a 10K - 100K (whatever you find cheap) dual audio taper potentiometer and you will have a volume control for the RCA's.

Or you can use a line driver/equalizer/crossover electronic device with front panel volume controls before your amplifier(s) that have an easy to reach (whereever you put the device) volume control at your disposal.

A car stereo amplifier that had a remote accessible volume control would also work for this application I'm not sure if any of those exist however, but I have seen them with bass control levels remoted.

Here you go in about 10 seconds on Google.

Run a JL Audio amplifier HD series and the JL Audio HD-RLC HD Amplifier Remote Level Control and Cable and run the IPOD out with the RCA cord I linked you to direct to the amplifier.

Tell the idiots that work at Crutchfield I got it right off their website. :biggrin:

Yes you do have to use the JL Audio Amplifiers from the HD series to work with that remote volume control.

JL Audio HD-RLC Remote level controller for select JL Audio amplifiers at Crutchfield.com

You know what I think would be really cool... is if someone took the faceplate of an old declo casset, and put the iPod display in the display window.
Make the volume knob work and the tuning knob work like the rotary wheel on the iPod.

Now were getting somewhere. It does sound like I won't be able to use the face of the ipod as the volume control. And will end up running this aux volume controller of some sort. The one you posted looks decent.
I hope to get going on this project after I redo some other things on the car. (Although I really should use this as my winter project, lol) So if you find other options/suggestions in the meantime, feel free to post 'em up for me. So far it's looking like I should be close to accomplishing my goal.

And of course we have a much cheaper, completely universal (should work with any amp. you choose), solution available at Best Buy.

This is similar to the one I built from scratch from a stereo volume control I found for my IPOD to mini-stereo made from computer speakers and amplifiers.

All in one universal volume control you can use two of them to control the level to front and rear speakers or dash and kick panel speakers with dual amp.s. or a 4 channel amplifier etc.

Another 5 minutes on google. :p

Who was that very wise guy that said Engineer then build?

The price is right too, I may have to try one. :cool:

PAC - Remote Amplifier Level Controller - LC-1

Yup.

Most require a docking base but this one doesn't and isn't foolproof either.

I'd want a large 5"-6" display however that I could see. :biggrin:

A little velcro on the console cover and a stock display IPOD of choice mounted there would probably work just as well as that remote device. :p

I leave mine on the passenger seat and the cord out the back of it so it's easy to grab and plug in, and never leave it in the car. I put it in the ashtray switch panel area when I have a passenger.

I probably would want to leave it in the car if I had a car docking cord to charge it that I could trust wouldn't drain my battery.

I just use shuffle and skip to the next track, but I have about 1000 songs so I don't usually get a repeat too often when I use it. :)

There's probably some high end specialty audio stores that have the IPOD figured out with remote displays and controls and perhaps no radio, not sure though.

Sorry I forgot the link in my rambling..... :p

Sold on Amazon and probably Egay too.

Here is a link to the manufacturers specs.

I'm not sure but I think the 3.5mm jack in the bottom of the receiver must be line level output since the unit doesn't plug in the headphone jack but I could be wrong and they may be using the headphone amp. if it's available on the docking jack in the bottom of the unit as it DOES control the volume, not sure if you can do that with the line level output. :confused:

As usual most of the tech. information is like pulling teeth from these marketing geniuses. :rolleyes:

iJet Two Way LCD Remote

Your going to need an amp and a d/a convertor.Ipods cut out bass response and high frequency usually 10k and above and 100 and down.Thats if you go through the analog side (3.5mm) but if you go through the ipod plug it will not cut any frequency.If you go digital you will get a better sound and you could put a volume control knob.I would still put a line driver on it but thats up to you.As far as amps I would look for something with a high signal to noise and not worry so much about wattage.

Is that freq bandpass cut only when you have the default headphone EQ set, or is it all the time. My friend plugged his iPhone into my car and the stuff he played sounded GREAT, and he said he had the EQ turned off.

There are software or firmware schemes that re-equalize or delete the equalization.

But I don't think you will ever get great sound out of that headphone amp. compared to the line out.

The amplifier itself may be frequency limited by design, but who knows without any decent Apple specs. out there, they are far more image and marketing oriented than technical. :eek:

You shouldn't need a line driver either with any name brand power amp., but you will need a volume control.

I'm using a Pioneer head unit tht fits the stock opening perfectly and looks factory, (black and gray)along with their Ipod adapter that plugs to the bottom input of my Ipod. Works fantastic. I know you said you wanted to skip the headunit altogether, but this is a pretty nice setup, IMO.

h130DEHP77Ddmtp.jpg

Ahhh, didn't realize it was discontinued.