Radio delete, ipod in place. Ideas?

I've been thinking. I'd like to delete the indash radio all together and fill it in with a blank or other. Not sure with what or how yet. Maybe a cool mini clock or something. But I'd like to run a basic system entirely via ipod like Controls, volume, etc. and not have a head unit.

Does anyone have any ideas to help my thought process along? Or maybe someone that has done something similar?

Do you have amps? I had this setup in my boat for the longest time. I just had the rcas going straight to my ipod. It sounded pretty good, but then I put a deck in it, and the sound was more filtered, and it gave better tuning options. There are modules you can buy to boost the RCA signals but those cost just as much as a good deck. Just get a 4v deck w. preouts, and mount it in the glovebox if you are looking for that clean, look without a stereo.

If you have amps, just connect your rcas to your ipod and try it out, i'm sure it'll sound decent ;) you just might have the gains all the way up on the amps.

no amp installed.
just the head unit. hoping to eliminate it and just get a nice iPod mount and do everything through that. I suppose a small amp is in order from the way it sounds.

The i pod's do not have enough power to push the speakers in the car, a small amp of some sort is a must. Don't get me wrong the i pod will play sound through the speakers but not of any quality.. Great idea though

The best sound through (out of) the IPOD is at the dock connector, which gives you a full volume line level signal with no volume control.

Sounds better than using the headphone/buds output jack although the volume control and built in tone controls work with that output signal.

Therefore a line level adapter with volume control or some sort of audio taper resistive volume control is in order, simple to build to regulate the volume.

Docking connectors with the RCA jacks are readily available at Amazon or probably some local places as well.

A 10K pair of audio taper potentiometers on one shaft (stereo pot.) works fine for an audio control and can be spliced (soldered) inline with the RCA's with some cheap cables and feed the amps. or crossover.

I did that to make my work stereo system with a powered computer speaker subwoofer and a pair of Sony powered Walkman speakers from the 80's which sound incredible via the IPOD source unit.

You could also buy an old school remote controlled volume deck (and hide it somewhere the remote could access it) that has a CD changer input and put the IPOD into that input, I found a diagram of the connector online for my old Kenwood and run the IPOD into that which works great.

Lots of options but you need to know what equipment you are gonna use for power and preamp. type signals (crossovers, etc.) first.

The i pod's do not have enough power to push the speakers in the car, a small amp of some sort is a must. Don't get me wrong the i pod will play sound through the speakers but not of any quality.. Great idea though
I know, I forgot to mention that in my first post. However, I don't know what would be required. Sorry for the confusion.
What I was thinking is, fill in the radio with a blank or "something" I haven't really thought that through. Have a mount somewhere in easy reach, but not obnoixious. And be able to plug right in after updates and such and leave it in the car.
Plans are to use an itouch when I figure what I want to end up with. It does not need to be loud, just sound great.

salvagev6.
I would like to use the ipod to control volume, is that not an option?

Would any small amp with RCA inputs work? Got an example I could see?

no guys, obviously the ipod can't power speakers. I was talking about the RCAS coming off the amp, if was going to use it. And with the ipod connected to them you get direct control of the volume through the ipod

Interesting concept.
Personally I prefer to eliminate the head unit if I can come up with something. But thanks for the idea.

The first link is to a Belkin cord that features RCA's to go to amps. from the headphone jack, it allows volume control use and internal IPOD equalization.

Amazon.com: Belkin 7-Foot Stereo Link Cable for iPod: Electronics

The second link is for the docking cord which allows a better quality line level signal output at full volume with no equalization or volume control.

And it does sound better, make your own volume control or use an amplifier that has a remote volume control or equalizer, line level adapter, in line with the IPOD and amplifier.

Design first build later. :smile:

Amazon.com: Cables To Go 4-Feet RCA Stereo to Dock Connector Cable for iPod: Electronics

Have a friend that did this in an old mini, sounded great, just 5 speakers and 1 2xamp, 6.5" components and an 8" bandpass, it was incredible!

Still looking for ideas to eliminate the head unit all together.
I'd prefer to use the ipod to control the volume and music. I could add an amp or two. I'm going to upgrade the speakers too. I just don't want a head unit if possible.

What Streetworkxs said is about the only way to go about it without having a head unit. Either hide the head unit or run an amplifier and just plug the ipod into that.

The amp you need will depend on what kind of speakers you'll be running. Just get a chord to plug into your headphone jack that turns into RCAs and plug the RCAs into the amp input.

Or you can run into futureshop or best buy or whatever and get a iSimple iPod FM Transmitter. (see below picture):

10127952.jpg

You don't need the transmitter but it comes with a cable that plugs into your ipod whatever you call it port and turns it into RCAs and you plug that into your amp.

I've had someone tell me the receiver actually works as a "filter" and if I run the ipod straight into an amp and use the volume control on the ipod like I want, it will sound like hell. Can anyone confirm this?

Currently there are some decent speakers in the car. Infinity's if I recall. Small but they work. When I figure out which route I go with deleting the head unit, I plan to upgrade all of them.

I do not want a head unit at all. I have seen those in the links, and not what I want. I think I am going to fill that space with some gauges or other, I am not sure. Maybe the scanmaster and alky controller will go there. Not sure yet, but I hope to have options open when the head unit space is opened up. I think someone here sells a blank off plate for when I get that far.

I've emailed a tech at crutchfield and the response was pretty much not an option at this point.

I'd guess the stereo companies don't want to supply me with a device to eliminate the stereo..lol