Radiator upgrade

turbotest

I am looking to upgrade my radiator. I was looking to the f-body radiator and a electric fan at the same time. Any recommendations? what do i need for this conversion. Thanks.

other than the rad and elect fan, basically just need a hold down plate of sorts for the radiator. you can cut and modify your existing fan shroud, build one with some homemade clamps, etc... most guys buy a bolt on factory one from a 86/87 tb but it was also available on some other models.
you'll need a upper rad hose thats a little longer, I have the part # for mine i can dig up if you'd like.

if you have installed a 86/87 ecm, caspers makes a relay wiring kit that wires into the automatic fan on/off.

I've heard of people using the hold down plate which came on v8 olds powered g-bodys. As far as the fan is there any vendor i can get it from? Will it be enough to cool down the car even with a/c on? The wiring ill worry about once i have all the parts but might go with a painless kit. Thanks.

Go to the junkyard and try to find a hold down of a small V8 from another G-body. I found one on a early 80's Olds.
Ramchargers - The Ramcharger use to have a good fan for about $80 and the wiring kit too. I haven't been on that site in a couple years though.
A good electric fan should have no problem cooling the car down with the AC on, plus the F-body aluminum radiator will help keep it cool too!

several good fans out there. the dual ramchargers seem to be a popular choice for the tb crowd. Very inexpensive and will keep the car cool w/ ac on. I got mine from Gbody parts for around $120 if I remember correctly. Other vendors sell them too I'm sure.
Once you trim the side mounting tabs off, its a very nice snug fit. be sure and leave a 1/8" gap or so inbetween shroud and the fins. theres a number of effective ways to mount the fan, do a search for tons of writeups and pics.

There are also some very very good aluminum radiators custom built for our cars available from a number of the buick vendors, but their going to be a bit pricier (you get what you pay for), these imo, are going to be the better route to go over a gbody rad in most cases. I have been very happy with my fbody radiator conversion. I can post pics later if you'd like.

there may be some disagreements, but from my exp, a fbody radiator is going to outperform a 4 row core installed in our stockers everytime

F-body radiator is awesome. I went from a 4 core to an F-body and the difference was night and day. It's pretty much a drop in with the exception of finding the hold down at the junkyard.

I would not run the mechanical fan with it. It pulls much more air than an electric fan and I believe it can hurt the core with the fins being so much closer together.

proliance radiator

I ordered a Proliance Radiator from Summit. It is aluminum and plastic. Everything bolted up. I am using my fan shroud and fan. I do have an electric fan. (If needed) I have a switch in the ashtray. I installed it a week ago. It cools better than the standard radiator. I was going to use the F Body radiator. I decided to try something that would fit without changing anything. The F Body radiator may cool better.

$149.95

Part Number: PLI-433571
Radiator Style: Crossflow
Row Quantity: Three-row
Radiator Finish: Natural
Radiator Material: Aluminum/Plastic
Transmission Cooler: Yes
Inlet Location: Upper driver side
Inlet Size: 1 5/16 in.
Outlet Location: Lower passenger side
Outlet Size: 1 9/16 in.
Core Height (in): 17.000 in.
Core Thickness (in): 2.000 in.
Core Width (in): 20.750 in.

i used a f-body rad and a flex-o-lite black magic fan and temp controler works awesome ill charge the camera and take some pics of my hold down setup