Radiator Options on the 87 GN

HeatleyRacing

Well, I was decided last night was a good night to drain and replace my antifreeze. My 87 was running a bit hot when idling for a long time in traffic. FIgured Id replace the original upper and lower hoses etc.. Ended up noticing the inside of the radiator was pretty boogered up with crust. Sure looked like stop leak build up..So I decided to pull it and take it for a flushing.. Once out I noticed 6-8 of the tubes were weeping at the drivers side tank. I figure its better to just replace this old core..

Now to the meat of the post. Since Im replacing it ,now is probably the time to do external oil and tranny coolers if thats the best choice. Advance Auto is getting $600 for original style radiator with the coolers in it. I dont have any plans on this car going deeper than mid 11s in the 1/4 mile so if the stock style radiator is sufficient to keep the fluids cool enough for this turbo engine, Ill just replace it that way. What do you all think ??

Ok, I found a factory replacement copper and brass radiator in MS for $429..

Im thinking thats the way to go to keep the car as unmolested as I can..

The $600 radiator they quoted me was for a Griffin alum replacement with the oil and tranny coolers built in like stock..

You should check with Mark Hueffman - TR Custom Parts. I bought a few things from him. Great stuff :D and great service. Aluminum Rad is $349 on his web page. buickgn .com.

I sent my stock tanks to Nick Micale(AZGN) and he recores them with larger ones. Looks stock but works excellent. Highly recommend his products.

You should check with Mark Hueffman - TR Custom Parts. I bought a few things from him. Great stuff :D and great service. Aluminum Rad is $349 on his web page. buickgn .com.
i second this..i bought one of Mark's radiators and my coolant temps went from 236 to 160's consistently, plus its a sharp looking unit

I am in MS. I pulled my radiator out and had the core replaced and cooler tested for 185.00. Have not had a problem since. Mike

Rads.

Either one of those gentlemen will set you up. Nick I believe actually sells a complete radiator now. He uses a 3 row core with original tanks that he had built up for that hot Arizona sun.. Bought a 3-core replacement from him years ago for our GN had local rad shop braze the tanks on, it cooled better (160-170)then the F-body alum/plastic radiator(180-190) I put on our other GN recently, and didn't have to purchase new tranny or oil lines or coolers. I should have went with the tried and true 3 row from Nick. Now Mark's rad is lighter and prettier hear it works great. With Nick's you have to send the end tanks in because there is a core charge.

Actually, it is $389. Yep, they sure are purty and they do a great job keeping things cool. Put it thru a good test the other night coming back from a cruise night. Got caught in a MILES long traffic jam as they were grinding I-91 to get ready for paving. Mid 80's temps and idling in traffic for a good 45 minutes or so. Temps never got over 180. Suppose if you after the stock or stealth look on these you could always give it a quick coat of paint.

Is that installed with all the original mounts, lines etc?? Also, Whats the lead time on getting one in my hands ?? THanks

Is that installed with all the original mounts, lines etc?? Also, Whats the lead time on getting one in my hands ?? THanks

It is a direct drop in replacement with no mods needed. Lines and hoses hook up where they are supposed to and fits the original mounting spots as well.

Ummm, no, just the radiator. Ships same day with about 3-4 days to reach you.

HA HA ,, THe question was in reference to the install pictures on your page that I followed from HMBTurbos post that you quoted..

Got the answer I was looking for from KH in the post above..

Ooops $389...must have been a typo - sorry! :eek: or thought maybe you'd give him a deal!? lol :cool: Actually, every time I look at your web page I see something else I wanna buy...I'm saving up cuz my T is in pieces being done over...