Radiator hoses

Tmhyer

Changing out the radiator hoses on my 86 grand national today. I cannot believe these are the original hoses
IMG_1239.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• IMG_1239.JPG
    IMG_1239.JPG
    437.9 KB · Views: 136
Incredible. I've never had a failure, but I replace them every few years or so. You got a lot of years on those if they are the factory ones. Engine bay looks nice in the background btw.............

Thanks. I have owned the car for two months and have not even driven it yet. I have cleaned the undercarriage and engine compartment four times. It was filthy with 30 years of grease buildup. Engine degreaser had little affect. trying to get It to be a nice clean well performing grand national.

I finally changed my original lower hose for the first time last winter. I even kept it since I did the twin turbo conversion 12 years ago. Needed to take a bunch of inches off to the first bend after the water pump side, but it worked so I never replaced it.

Then last fall I noticed it would "sweat" coolant. Yes. It actually started to seep through to the surface and I would notice an oily green film on it after a heat cycle.

I ordered up the silicone replacement from Nick Micale. Still needed to cut some off for my application.

My hoses haven’t failed either. Just thought I’d replace them for peace of mind, then noticed the date on the hose from 1985. Impressive, especially with 120k miles on them

There was a write up here about the parts stores having the wrong part number. I don't know if they ever got it fixed. You might want to bring in your old hose(s) to match them up.

There was a write up here about the parts stores having the wrong part number. I don't know if they ever got it fixed. You might want to bring in your old hose(s) to match them up.
The problem that was discovered was that the parts stores grouped the 84-86 turbo Regals together when in reality the 84-85 Regals are the same and the 86-87 are different. If you tell them you have an 86,you could get the wrong ones. As long as you tell them you have an 87,you will get the correct hoses. The hose manufacturer did make a correction to their catalog,but the safest way to get the correct hoses is to ask for a 1987 GN.