rack`n pinion

Yes, but there are some drawbacks to them. Much more work than it's worth. Do a search on the board and you can find how to do it.

Rack & pinion...just WHY ?...:confused: Seems to me that the stock steering system is fine!...:rolleyes:

Claude. :redface:

well yeah but i just thought a r&p might be better but never mind ill stick with the stock then and just jazz it up :D

TRZ rack and pinion kit.

Pros.. very light weight..
Cleans up engine compartment considerably
Great customer support

Cons.. Turning radius reduced
No power assist

The tight radius can be alleviated with the early camaro spindles and TRZ steering arms. This would allow for even more weight savings. Power assist is really not needed as the rack ratio is very friendly and it is nowhere as hard as most would suspect.

TRZ rack and pinion kit.

Pros.. very light weight..
Cleans up engine compartment considerably
Great customer support

Cons.. Turning radius reduced
No power assist

The tight radius can be alleviated with the early camaro spindles and TRZ steering arms. This would allow for even more weight savings. Power assist is really not needed as the rack ratio is very friendly and it is nowhere as hard as most would suspect.

I've got the kit on my car. Excellent craftsmanship.

Here is the rack install in a GN. Rather hard to modify the frame for the steering shaft without removing the engine.

Attachments

• Rack in GN.jpg
    Rack in GN.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 284
well sins im gonna be runnin a 9 inch wide front tire i guess i kinda need the power steering heheh

I ran an 8" tire on the street with my rack. Because of the diferent ratio, turning power wasn't an issue. The turning radius on the other hand was. If you go with the 1st gen F Body spindles and TRZ's brackets, you can adjust the pivot point on the spindle. This allows you to pick a happy medium between turning radius and steering ratio.
On my install, I was able to run the steering shaft over the frame just above the motor mount and avoid cutting into the frame

well i think then ill use the stock steering i found a company that had some prety spiffy looking steering boxes but i lost the link

og mama they had some sweet stuff like aliminum door panels :D anyone got a pic of a door with manual windows??

well i think then ill use the stock steering i found a company that had some prety spiffy looking steering boxes but i lost the link

search gearboxes. Someone had a link with a high perf box for like $600