Racing Fri 10/3, quick EGT question

tim87tr

Obsession or Digression?
I tested my car up to 80 mph tonight on race trim: 110 octane, Thrasher 100, & 21 lb boost, stock turbo, 45 lb fp, about 50 degrees out. Installed my SMC EGT tonight, had previously ran it some on my GN, and have some numbers.

Should I be concerned with 1700 max, no KR, 02=750 on a zero to 80mph run? I know the instructions say and have read 1550 to 1600 is ideal, and 1700 is supposed to be danger area. I've ran this setup during 4 visits to the 1/8th mile last year without the EGT, and running bests of high 7s.

It was weird that I stabbed the throttle when I turned around after the run and the EGT read 1875! Tim

its probably rich......if you are rich enough, raw fuel will burn in the manifold distorting your egt readings

you need to "baseline" the egt at a proper a/f ratio.....if you increase boost/decrease fuel pressure, egt should go up...if not, you are rich and need to keep lowering fuel or increasing boost until the egt stops going down and turns around...ie starts going up.....you will find the point where a small change will affect your egt....leaner = hotter & richer = cooler

BTW, readings taken at anything less than wot in 3rd gear for an extended period ie 100 mph minimum, will not be valid

Thanks Woody, that's the info I need for tomorrow night. I do remember last year without the EGT that I tried 44 lb fp without any kr, and ran a bit faster. I'll make a baseline run at 45 lb fp and lower the fp a bit on the next run to see if the EGTs increase or decrease.

My guess is they'll decrease initially because I am running rich. My boost is a max of about 21 lb with the stock wg so that will be constant. I guess the 45 lb fp is just a safe starting point for the Thrasher chip, and a lower fp without kr could get me the 7.7s I want, and a 1.6X 60 ft :) Tim

Got rained out tonight. Good 40 degree turbo weather too:( Maybe going to a fun day at another 1/8th mile track tomorrrow.