Race gas and O2s

galoush

HWY2HELL
I was fooling around with my double fuel system and using VP racing c-16 gas 117 octane with 6 grams of lead . The car coded 13 for the O2 . Im sure my sensor is old and the gas killed it but i was wondering from and race gas users the life exp on a new O2 with this gas . The car ran fine i cleared the computer after each track run but my scanmaster readings on milivolts were all screwed up no knock though.

I dedicate a day to a new O2 sensor. 5-6 runs on C-16 and the readings have consistantly gone waaaaaaay low afterwards. Some guys have said/experienced a single run on an unheated O2 sensor running C-16. Think of C-16 as being the fat kid...in a candy store. :D
Jim

O2 and race gas

Hmmmm , Ok any word on the heated , ive heard some talk about an impala sensor ( is the thread the same as a Gn one?, size etc) anyway My understanding is at W.O.T the O2 is not here or there but everyday driving well that is going to be another mater . Any ideas out there? Just curious what do guy with these mega $$$$ widebands do when they run race gas , just bite the cost?

Apparantly the wideband O2's last alot longer than the regular heated O2's. I don't know if they actually do or not though. Alot of guys use the Delco heated O2 part# AFS-74. It does last a little longer than what a non-heated does but don't count on it lasting a whole lot longer. I have found that comparing it to EGT's, it does not take long for the readings on the heated sensor to become skewed.

All I run in my GN is Cam-11. I run a heated 02 sensor and it seems to hold up very well.

I can lend some info. i installed a new GM AFS-20 single wire. Had Phillips 114 leaded in the tank. O2's right on the money first 4 passes in the 1/8 mile. Went to 1/4. Did 4 passes and on the 5 pass check engine came on, and o2's died, car laid down big time. My experiece is around 8-10 passes and its throw it away at $27 a pop.
Mitch

Yep, 4-5 passes and about 5-10 miles from the track my car would throw a code. Now have the Max Effort and don't have to worry about it.

Originally posted by buickboy
$27 a pop.
Mitch

Try ~39-42 dollars a pop (dealer +10%)!!!! The ONLY way you can get them at 27dollars is to buy 3 for 66(If they still offer it!!) From Modern Muscle (Ramchargers) = 22 + Shipping = ~26-27 dollars a pop!! I'm talking Delco's!!!

So, what happens if you take the O2 sensor out and plug the hole while racing? At WOT the O2 is ignored right?

that's right, but at anything less than WOT (like during spool up) you'll not have a good situation.....

right. Suppose the sensor was plugged in, but tied to the manifold or something out of the way. Motor'd run a little rich. How long during spoolup is it until PE mode?

However, is it possible the ecm won't go to closed loop without a hot O2 sensor?

open loop means no 02 sensor input...you would be in open loop all the time and the car will run badly unless at WOT