race chips

turbot2112

i was wondering how much time i would be able to knock of my et by adding a race chip . i recently went 12.4 at 111 running 17 pounds of boost with a turbotweak street chip. coundnt really leave all that hard either. short time was 1.9. mods listed below. thanks guys:D

A race chip will take a few tenths off. I have a 114 chip from Red Armstrong and that what i got out of it. The mods u got u should be in the 11s. I have stock heads , TE 44, front mnt, 36lb inj, THDP, Hooker 2 1/2 in exhaust, 2800 stall speed and im at 12.1 at 111mph. Sounds like u have traction issues. If u are not running slick get some 26x10s. Also crank that boost up to 22lbs. Make sure u run good gas, 45lbs fuel preasure and have a knock sensor or Scanmaster. It will put you in the 11s easy with those mods. Hope this helps.

Originally posted by turbot2112
i was wondering how much time i would be able to knock of my et by adding a race chip . i recently went 12.4 at 111 running 17 pounds of boost with a turbotweak street chip. coundnt really leave all that hard either. short time was 1.9. mods listed below.

If your not going to raise the octane, and the chips really close, then your not going to see much if any change.
If the street chip is real conservative, then you might see some.
If you raise the octance of fuel your going to use, then you might see a signifigant improvement.

While intially expensive, having a Translator Plus would let you fine tune, what you have, and allow you to add some timing depending on what fuel your running.

Are you datalogging your runs?.
If not that should be your first concern, IMO.

thanks guys, i am using scanmaster, knock gauge and directscan to record the runs. i beleive the turbotweak chip im running has 18 degrees timing in it. its been a few years since ive ran the car and im starting to get back in to it and really want an 11 second pass just like everybody else.:D i thought i heard somewere a racechip will give you like a 100 horsepower? is that far fetched. thanks:D

Jeff,

Your street chip timing at WOT is 20° up to 57mph, then it goes to 18°.

With a 110 race chip set up for about 24-25psi boost (and the required octane) I suspect your mph would increase about 3-4mph. With slicks you would be in the 11's.

You're almost in the 11's now if you had a better 60'. :)

Regards,
Eric

There's two things the race chip can do: dump in more fuel and crank up the timing. If you have big injectors and a street chip (93 octane) that does not put in all the fuel the injectors are capable of flowing, and a race chip that does, then obviously you can flow more air with the race chip at the same air/fuel ratio and can thus make more power. If your street chip has the same fueling as the race chip then you won't see a difference here (probably typical for 009's/42's or smaller, not uncommon for 50's). As for timing, how much more hp you will get at 24 or 26 deg kind of depends on how much hp you are already making at 20 deg. If you have a "low" flow motor, stock heads, stock intercooler, stock turbo, where you might get 325 rwhp on race gas at 20 psi with 20 deg of timing you might get 340-350 hp at 26 deg of timing (all of this assumes the octane to support the boost/timing). If you have a good flowing motor with ported gn1's, frontmount, big turbo, where you are already making 500 hp at 20 deg and 20 psi boost, going to 24 deg might get you 50 hp (I've actually done this test and got about this result based on mph at the track, changing nothing but timing).

So, going from a 20 deg street chip with the fuel turned down, and 16 psi boost, to race gas and a 26 deg race chip with the fuel turned up and the boost cranked up to 25 psi you could easily see 1-1.5 seconds difference in the 1/4 mile, especially if you also go from street tires to slicks. More boost, more timing, and more traction all add up :).