Race car Wiring

Big Stu

Flogged Donkey
If you had to start from scratch and choose a wiring harness for your car, who would you buy from? I ask because there are no shops around here that even remotely specialize in this kind of stuff, so like everything else with this car, I will have to do it myself. Painless has been recommended to me, but I want some real world experience and feedback here. Any ideas? :)

Big Stu said:
If you had to start from scratch and choose a wiring harness for your car, who would you buy from? I ask because there are no shops around here that even remotely specialize in this kind of stuff, so like everything else with this car, I will have to do it myself. Painless has been recommended to me, but I want some real world experience and feedback here. Any ideas? :)

I've looked at two Painless Wiring harnesses, for doing LT1 conversions. Both had to be butchered to even get to run.

I've bought a few of Casper's pieces, and to date, all have been excellent, so if I had to buy a harness, I'd try him first.

Thanks for the info guys, scott thanks for that link. I will give them a call tomorrow and see what they can do for me. :)

Big Stu said:
Thanks for the info guys, scott thanks for that link. I will give them a call tomorrow and see what they can do for me. :)

That is a hell of a tow, but from what I have heard he is one of the very best.

John Wilde said:
That is a hell of a tow, but from what I have heard he is one of the very best.

I wouldn't go that far to have it done. I am going to check and see if they offer a wiring harness for the chassis and engine to buy. That way I can put it in myself. I am not afraid of wiring, though I probably should be. :D :confused:

I put together a GN drivetrain in a 1939 Buick Street Rod. John Spina built me an awesome custom harness by asking me a few questions over the phone.

They were also very reasonable.

Attachments

• IM001475.JPG
    IM001475.JPG
    122.3 KB · Views: 186
  • IM001477.JPG
    IM001477.JPG
    116.6 KB · Views: 167
BEATBY6 said:
Give Sparkey a call at http://www.wiresandpliers.com/ One of the best in the U.S.A. :)

Sparkey has my truck in his shop right now. I hauled it 750 miles to get it there and I'm glad I got it in there when I did. He stays very busy for good reasons. There isn't a better place or a more qualified individual to take it to. :D

turbodave231 said:
I put together a GN drivetrain in a 1939 Buick Street Rod. John Spina built me an awesome custom harness by asking me a few questions over the phone.

They were also very reasonable.

I agree 100%, he is very good. I had a caspers "race" harness in the other gn that I recently sold. I was very happy with it. Gets rid of all the emissions crap and other junk under the hood. If I remember right though, he only does the connectors for the big stuff and the fast efi. I have an awesome line on a motec m48 right now for $1000, so if that is what I end up getting, I'd like to make sure the harness I buy is compatible. Thanks for the input. :)

Big Stu said:
I agree 100%, he is very good. I had a caspers "race" harness in the other gn that I recently sold. I was very happy with it. Gets rid of all the emissions crap and other junk under the hood. If I remember right though, he only does the connectors for the big stuff and the fast efi. I have an awesome line on a motec m48 right now for $1000, so if that is what I end up getting, I'd like to make sure the harness I buy is compatible. Thanks for the input. :)

You are in luck as I know for a fact he does more than just FAST & Big Stuff connectors because my truck has a fully optioned and data logging Motec M800 with Motec CDI-8 Ignition with a AIM MXL Pista digital dash all connected through the CAN Data link. All sensors are connect via DTM connectors right out of the Motec catalog. I however don't know that he does stand alone wiring harnesses for someone else to install. I'd give him a call and see. Good luck on the M48. Motec stuff rules. :biggrin:

Big Stu said:

Stu,

Buy it bro or let me!

clone311v6 said:
You are in luck as I know for a fact he does more than just FAST & Big Stuff connectors because my truck has a fully optioned and data logging Motec M800 with Motec CDI-8 Ignition with a AIM MXL Pista digital dash all connected through the CAN Data link. All sensors are connect via DTM connectors right out of the Motec catalog. I however don't know that he does stand alone wiring harnesses for someone else to install. I'd give him a call and see. Good luck on the M48. Motec stuff rules. :biggrin:

Mike,

Your truck is the sickest please get that thing done!!!

Very Cool Site!!
Thanks clone311v6 for forwarding this onto me.

Big Stu,
Are you looking for Harnesses for the complete car or are you just looking for an Engine Harness?
I support most all Fuel Injection systems, weather it be something OE or aftermarket. The most common Harnesses I usually work with are Big Stuff 3, FAST, Accel DFI and some Motec. I don't work with a whole lot of the Motec stuff probably due to cost.
I think the Motec System is an awesome system and has a ton of capability, I would truly like to do more of them, but, most Drag Racers won't spend the money. Unfortunately, I have to work with what I am supplied with.

I don’t build a “Generic” Harness. All of my work requires the vehicle.
There are too many variables out there for me to build “generic” harnesses to support do it yourself installs. I started this company to offer a custom installation with quality product and quality workmanship that fits your particular needs. That in itself is getting harder and harder to find these days in this country.
The problem I see in most “Generic” applications is they usually require alterations. Now weather that is coiling up excess harness with wire ty’s or cutting and mating the harness back together with some sort of crimp connectors. I guess this works in some cases, but I have seen it cause problems, more times then not.

Sparky

Sparky_wp said:
Very Cool Site!!

Big Stu,
Are you looking for Harnesses for the complete car or are you just looking for an Engine Harness?
I support most all Fuel Injection systems, weather it be something OE or aftermarket. The most common Harnesses I usually work with are Big Stuff 3, FAST, Accel DFI and some Motec. I don't work with a whole lot of the Motec stuff probably due to cost.
I think the Motec System is an awesome system and has a ton of capability, I would truly like to do more of them, but, most Drag Racers won't spend the money. Unfortunately, I have to work with what I am supplied with.

There are too many variables out there for me to build “generic” harnesses to support do it yourself installs. I started this company to offer a custom installation with quality product and quality workmanship that fits your particular needs. That in itself is getting harder and harder to find these days in this country.
The problem I see in most “Generic” applications is they usually require alterations. Now weather that is coiling up excess harness with wire ty’s or cutting and mating the harness back together with some sort of crimp connectors. I guess this works in some cases, but I have seen it cause problems, more times then not.

Sparky

Michael does a lot of the fastest cars back east.
You should see what he did on the Crissafuli's TTA.

Here is a before and after shot of Tim Lynch & Steve Petty's Twin Turbo, 10.5" Tire, Outlaw Mustang. This car has gone 6.86, and 6.87 at Englishtown a few weeks ago and ran 4.46, 4.47 and 4.48 at Commerece 2 weeks ago at the OSCA event. In fact this car hasn't run slower then a 7.17 since leaving my shop. Steve Petty tells me this thing has been so consistant, they feel like they're bracket racing now!! I'm very excited to be part of this cars performace as well as all of my customers.

Attachments

• 000 001a.jpg
    000 001a.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 198
  • 000 041a.jpg
    000 041a.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 180
Sparky_wp said:
Very Cool Site!!

Big Stu,

Sparky

Cool, thanks for the reply. I am looking for both. I am sure that now because of your rep I will be making the haul sooner or later. Awesome wiring job by the way. :)

Speed Scene Wiring in Arizona just completed my 454 tbi harness for my dually suburban. They did a great job rewiring the entire unit back to the fuse box, using new loom and GM weather pack connectors. They will redo your stock harness as you request omitting all the unnecessary connectors and adding the new ones you need. It cost about $550.

Tyson