Quick questions

Gbodyrock

What are some quick things I can do to add horse power by replace or cleaning little parts or oiling certain things I am still learning about motors and I am only 15 before people start bashing me, But i have to do the work on the car my father promised would be mine, and he is not as passionate as I am. I have a small budget because im a teen ager so i can only do so much

Welcome to the Buick Turbo world. Now is the time to become a student of horsepower. Where are you located? Find yourself a mentor and stick to them like glue. Hang out at your local drag strip and find a Buick racer that is willing to help you out. Some are, some aren't. If you lived near me, I would be happy to show you the ropes. Read this site and others to get to know these cars inside and out. Read Speedtalk.com There, you will learn all about advanced levels of horepower development. Don't worry if most of it goes over your head. Keep reading and then read some more. Go to machine shops in your area and ask if you can help out cleaning parts or sweeping the floor. The more you are around racing of all types, the more you will learn. Go to a sprint car race, a circle track race, and read every car magazine there is. The internet is a great source of info. Read, and read, and read. Sooner or later you will be able to fingure out who knows what they are talking about and the ones that don't know JACK. There are many things you can do to a stock Turbo Regal to make it perform better for minimal money. Try this site: Turbo Buick Performance Build Ups/Recipes
Welcome again, and have fun learning.:smile:

See if your school offers a class in Auto Tech, kinda like wood shop, or a Votech school. The schools in Pa let students have the opportunity to go to regular high school for half a day then bus them to a Votech school for half a day. The Votech schools teach trades like computer courses, Auto Tech, Auto Body, Cosmetology, etc.

Ask questions, don't be afraid to ask allot of questions if necessary.

Volunteer at shop as previously suggested. You can do a fair amount of reading on the net but be cautious, not everything you read is true.

One thing that is cheap for you to start with, go to a parts store and get the Chiltins Book for your car. It will have most, if not all, of the info for your car in it, trouble shooting, diagrams, etc.

Welcome and good luck.

Well its not a turbo regal but im n ot old enough or have enough money to start from scratch so anyway the car is in my home in jersey but i am in new york during the week. My dad helps me with what he can but i just have more passion i was thinking of installing an air filter as my first modification i have a little bit of knowledge how they work so far but will it be compatable on a non turbo engine

Good to see your taking the initiative to pursue what you want.
First and most important is get a book to help you walk through repairs your car will need. Having your car run correctly is more important than having it run fast. A really good site for cheap manuels is Alibris.com then search for "Buick Mid-size rear wheel drive models-1974-1987-regal-century-wagons" I got mine for $3.00 and $4.00 shipping.

Second, find a mentor. My father was never around and my uncles could care less to work on cars so I hardly had any support when I was 15 with my first car. After speaking with several people, I found my scout master had the same passion for cars as I did, but with many more years of hands on experience. That a made a world of difference.

Tech school is not your only option. Just remember, you can have a hobby thats your passion. So dont loose focus on college. Ultimately just getting out there and doing it is the best way to learn!