quick head gasket question

jon_we4

Cold Fusion Monkey
I get over paranoid about my car ---

today i was working with wiring and consol of my car and such ... i was messing with the remote boost controller with the car off. Placement and length. It was set at around 15 psi before. Not remembering that I was messing with it when I left turned and hit the gas (part throttle) and the tires were goin all over the place ... i drove thru it and noticed my knock gauge was in the red and i was hitting about 25 psi ... it was only part throttle and only for a second or two I destinctvly heard one pop. after that I adjusted my boost contoller and all seemed to be fine ...running top notch.

No smoke -- Oil look great

Am I in the clear? The car rarely sees any large knock readings.

Thanks!

Jon

25psi with pump gas? :eek:

How long did you drive the car after that? You say oil is clear, no milky look to it? Any bubbles when you pull the cap off the radiator?

If no to the above, I'd turn the boost back to 15-16psi and see if it runs alright.

Well with my power plate I was getting 20psi with little knock

--but my TPS was pretty wacked

The car drove another 7 minutes home

No bubbles in radiator --- coolant did come out (due to pressure) when I removed the cap.--- but the oil was super clear

It might not have seen 25.... it could have been more or less

I hit it again to see where it was at and it spike strait up to 25

these were all with very little throttle

is it possible my head gaskets survivied?

if you only saw hi boost for a second and lifted you should be fine. i blew a FP reg. line off at 21 psi and WOT and it went lean and got 15* KR but it lived. i also got over 30 psi at 1/2 throttle once when a WG hose blew off. scared the crap outta me but it was OK. if the vacuum is OK and the car dont hesitate or idle crappy or doesnt show any signs of a blown HG, dont worry about it.

Only concern would be that I understand that knock damage is cumulative to the HG destruction.

no doubt it did some damage to my HG's .... just as long as they didnt blow this time --- right now would be so terrible.

I drove it for a good 30 min. A few 15psi straitaways.....pretty much drove normal. One thing is when I parked the idle seemed to be a few hundred RPM's higher. Not a biggie.

The oil is not clowdy at all. It's sythetic so its not really easy to see.

Everyone think I'm ok?

Thanks!
Jon

your fine. if coolant and oil mixed, by now your bearings would be gone and you would be posting, asking where to get a rebuild. if i were you i would check all scanmasster numbers and make sure they are where they are set or supposed to be and check all vacuum lines under the hood and just amke sure everything's tight and put this behind you. just dont let it happen again, you may not be so lucky:)