Quick Appraisal

0-60n4

I would like to get an idea of the market value of this car. Feel free to give average, low, high and estimated value in 5 years in same condition assuming appreciation.

1987 Grand National Turbo GN 443rwhp 44k Show Cruise

1987 Buick Grand National. Black of course with 44,676 low miles. Turbocharged and Intercooled V6. This buick gn has a very rare option group which included a factory power sunroof and a digital dash. Paint and interior a 9.5 out of 10. The car has had several mods performed, I do have all reciepts and paperwork dating back to 94. The current setup makes 443rwhp, I do have the dyno sheet. It has been down the track a few times with the best 1/4 pass being an 11.67et The car runs and drives very smooth, pulls hard and shifts firm. Power windows and cold AC. Pioneer CD player. This very hard to find car in this condition and built this well. The drivability is excellent and feels like a normal car till you get in the gas. I will list some mods below.

Garrett 63mm Turbo
ATR Ported & polished Heads
Harland Sharp 1.65 Roller Rockers
Comp Cam 208/201
Adjustable Wastegate
3 inch Stainless Downpipe & Exhaust
Adjustable Fuel Regulator
Cold Air Intake
High Rise Valve Covers
60lb Injectors
Turbo Tweak Chip 17lb's Boost
340 Walbro Fuel Pump
Art Carr Shift Kit
Auburn 390 Posi 28 spline axels
GNX Wheels
New SS headers
New full trunk carpeting
New heater core and new brake master cylinder
I have see a lot of GN and as far as show quality, I would say it is one of the top five I has seen in person. Would be a best of show in it's class in most shows.
I know pictures would help, buy you guys know what they look like and the pictures I havd dont do it justice.
I am considering purchasing it,
Thanks for your help.

Sounds nice BUT cars are in the crapper right now.. Price really depends how fast ya want to sell it.. Lots of "window lickers" in here with NO $$$$ BUT would really like the car. :rolleyes: I'd say maybe around $13 to 16k to sell it fairly fast. Def need GOOD pics for the "picture collectors" and the few serious guys that are looking for something.. also a location may help. good luck.. What was the mph on the 11.6 run ??

I'm considering purchasing this car and not looking to turn it around fast. Just looking to get an idea of what would be a fair price to pay for it. I plan to keep it for several years if I purchase it. Not sure what the speed was on that time slip.

There is alot of money spent on that car and its low mileage. Some people say that leaving it stock is the way to go to get your money back, others say a modified gn will bring high numbers. I would say that car is worth 18k-22k, assuming it is as nice as you say it is but the owner may only see 15k-16k. Everyone is looking for a bargain,money is tight right now with fears of the uncertainty economically so unless someone needs the money in a hurry, people are hanging on to their cars because they wont get what they are really worth right now. IMO.

I agree with dragrazor on the higher value, but I wouldn't go as high as $22k unless it was absolutely PRISTINE.

VALUE is what the market thinks the car is worth and this can be a big range. Your buying price is what YOU are willing to pay for it.

I think a lot of it depends on YOU and what you want; be honest with yourself.

If you want a car that's already had the stuff done to it so that you can hop in, turn the key, and blast down the track in 11 - DO IT!!! I think that would be fun as HELL!!!!

For me - I wanted a one-owner, fairly low mileage, basically stocker. I probably looked for two years to find mine, and I drove from Houston, TX to Canfield, OH (on Easter weekend!) to finally get mine.

I paid $16k a year ago for mine with 60,846 miles from the original owner. Interior is PERFECT minus floor mats. Exterior has minor flaws (a few rock chips in front) and a 1987 paint-job. Very few mods under the hood and very easily returned to stock. What was modded came with all the original equipment (stereo, etc), ALL receipts, MOUNDS of magazine articles and ATR newsletters (anyone remember those?). The only issues I have come across on the car are the absolutely terrible "drive shaft loop" that is on it, and the covering on one of the visors is beginning to come off. At first, I felt like it was a great VALUE. I justified the $16k I spent by telling myself that this was my dream car since high-school. Later, I remember feeling as if $16k was too much for the car (aka buyer's remorse), but only for a little while. This is by far the funnest car I have ever owned. I will probably never sell it; I didn't buy it as an investment.

Would I have paid more for a car that was a show-worthy, heavily modded 11-sec car? You bet I would've!!! However, what I would have missed out on is the satisfaction of seeing the stuff that I personally do to the car actually result in lower ET's and faster trap speeds!!

It sounds like this car has way more than $22k in it!! Some of us probably have $30k or more (some WAY MORE!!) in their cars. There are probably very few of us (except for maybe the fortunate 547!!) that will ever see a return on their investment!! I'd be willing to bet that 99% of us don't care about the investment part of it - it's a love for cars and more specifically, a love for THESE cars that keeps us writing checks and swiping our Visa cards for them.

Just my $0.02. (I gotta quit putting my two-cents in - I've got some CCW's to buy, and a rear disc conversion, and an alky kit, and a bigger turbo, and airbags, and a.... and a.... and........!!!)

The owner says the ONLY thing that is not perfect is the steering because it has some play (slop) in the steering but not bad. I know the owner, he's my brother, and he's an OCD car fanatic. He's got the bug for a new Shelby GT-500 and will sell the GN to me for $14,000. Sounds like a good deal from what you guys are saying. I'll try to get some decent pics.
So how much do you estimate has been invested in this car in addition to the car itself?

14k sounds great. Wonder why a 44k car would have slop in the steering though?
My brother is OCD when it comes to cars and he is used to the other car in this pic. To me or you, it's probably not noticable.

only pic I have.

GNVett.jpg

IMG_17811.jpg

14k sounds great. Wonder why a 44k car would have slop in the steering though?

My 25K mile GN has a cooked UCA bushing under the downpipe that you can feel in the steering.

The Rag joint could be bad, too.

Both are more age than mile related.

I bought mine late last year around August. I feel I got a decent deal until I read about this one. You better buy it, yesterday!! 14K. Here in KY when I did the property tax appraisal it was much more than what I paid and a few thousand more than what he is willing to sell that nice GN to you. Buy buy buy

I would like to get an idea of the market value of this car. Feel free to give average, low, high and estimated value in 5 years in same condition assuming appreciation.

1987 Grand National Turbo GN 443rwhp 44k Show Cruise

1987 Buick Grand National. Black of course with 44,676 low miles. Turbocharged and Intercooled V6. This buick gn has a very rare option group which included a factory power sunroof and a digital dash. Paint and interior a 9.5 out of 10. The car has had several mods performed, I do have all reciepts and paperwork dating back to 94. The current setup makes 443rwhp, I do have the dyno sheet. It has been down the track a few times with the best 1/4 pass being an 11.67et The car runs and drives very smooth, pulls hard and shifts firm. Power windows and cold AC. Pioneer CD player. This very hard to find car in this condition and built this well. The drivability is excellent and feels like a normal car till you get in the gas. I will list some mods below.

Garrett 63mm Turbo
ATR Ported & polished Heads
Harland Sharp 1.65 Roller Rockers
Comp Cam 208/201
Adjustable Wastegate
3 inch Stainless Downpipe & Exhaust
Adjustable Fuel Regulator
Cold Air Intake
High Rise Valve Covers
60lb Injectors
Turbo Tweak Chip 17lb's Boost
340 Walbro Fuel Pump
Art Carr Shift Kit
Auburn 390 Posi 28 spline axels
GNX Wheels
New SS headers
New full trunk carpeting
New heater core and new brake master cylinder
I have see a lot of GN and as far as show quality, I would say it is one of the top five I has seen in person. Would be a best of show in it's class in most shows.
I know pictures would help, buy you guys know what they look like and the pictures I havd dont do it justice.
I am considering purchasing it,
Thanks for your help.
GET IT!!

Update: So this was my younger brother's car. He jokingly told me a few weeks ago he was going to raise the price because it won first place in his local car show:) He said he had the new steering box in his garage waiting to be installed. We'll the really sad news: He dies unexpectedly last week of a heart attack at age 45. I am so sad. We were really close. It's not the way I wanted it but I will keep the GN and build a nice garage for it and finish is up for him. Love you, Kenny. I"m going to miss you brother.

Extremely sorry to hear about your loss. To be taken away that quickly at such a young age, someone must have needed him elsewhere. I'm sure he'll be riding along right beside you every time you take his GN out.