Quick ? about TTA

87Ltd

Hi,

I've got a Turbo-T and was doing some searches on the TTA and am wondering if the TTA have ABS and airbags. Thinking about "switching" over.

Oh, are the TTA high theft cars like the Buicks?

TIA

Garjohn

Hi,

I've got a Turbo-T and was doing some searches on the TTA and am wondering if the TTA have ABS and airbags. Thinking about "switching" over.

Oh, are the TTA high theft cars like the Buicks?

TIA

Garjohn

No ABS and No airbags.

Don't know about theft of them though.

Everything you ever wanted to know about the TTA and more right here... 20th Anniversary Turbo Trans Am

WS6 got 2 of your questions as far as the theft on the TTA's it's pretty much as easy as a turbo Buick. They have the chip in the key anti theft to slow them down a little but that's easy to get around. The only good part with a TTA is if you don't have all the stickers on it most people just think it's a GTA. And we all know an 89 GTA is worth about 3K that's in mint condition! :)

Thanks for the info and link.

I looked there earlier tring to get info Re: the abs and airbags.
Trying to find an alternative (with the same fun factor) to my Buick that draws too much attention on the streets. Looking for a sleeper. Funny how when I bought the Turbo-T years ago I thought it'd be less noticeable than the GN's. I was wrong.....

Even the "younger" generation knows about em.

Hey, if anyone wants to trade, let me know...

TTA is the best sleeper out there. Well at least around here. I'm in my GN and no one wants to play. I'm in my TTA and everyone in their stock ****stang wants to play. Then when they get spanked they keep scratchin their head. Heads turn in the Turbo Buicks but no one even looks at you in a TTA. Other then the very few folks that know about them. :cool:

As far as a sleeper, Mine has door stickers, so at Buick events everyone knows what it is. But just cruisin it draws a lot of curious looks. Even old ladies in Beemers check it out. Probably cause they haven't seen a 80's F-body that hasn't been trailer park-i-fied in several years. But I can't even go down the main drag of any city without some kid in a ricer or stang that wants to run, which is cool cause I'm more than happy to let her rip... electric exhaust button OPEN:D

TTA is the best sleeper out there. Well at least around here. I'm in my GN and no one wants to play. I'm in my TTA and everyone in their stock ****stang wants to play. Then when they get spanked they keep scratchin their head. Heads turn in the Turbo Buicks but no one even looks at you in a TTA. Other then the very few folks that know about them. :cool:
I only had one sports car show some respect..He pulled along side, rolled his window down and shouted, "Is that a 20th Anniversary Turbo trans Am"? His Yellow Vette had 415 hp badges on the side....He didnt want any.
We met later at the show & shine and talked a lot, even gave h im a ride. Other than that, no one noticed either of my TTAs on the street....Until I showed them the spoiler as seen from behind ;)

The TTA typically gos unnoticed. Driving around you don't really get very many people looking outside of the fact of it being clean. Even at shows the only people who really stop and look are when they walk by and realize I "swapped" a Grand National motor in there.

Even tried to race a newer Cobra and he said something along the lines of "that turd isn't even worth my time"

The TTA typically gos unnoticed. Driving around you don't really get very many people looking outside of the fact of it being clean. Even at shows the only people who really stop and look are when they walk by and realize I "swapped" a Grand National motor in there.

Even tried to race a newer Cobra and he said something along the lines of "that turd isn't even worth my time"

Did you tell him that his cobra was one of a million fox bodies and will end up in a trailer park in about 10 years, where as TTAs will likley end up on Barret Jackson in 10 years? I would have stalked that dude until I caught him at a stop light. Those SC cobras are bad ass though, better have your sh*t together if you race one of those.

Wow, I guess this forum doesn't get a lot of traffic.
Very small "community" compared to the Buick "side".
I had a friend in college who had a GTA. I apoligize in advance but his instrument cluster always seemed kinda "cheesy". Looks similiar to the one on the TTA. Don't get me wrong, the Buick's isn't the greatest either (that's why we add x-tra gauges, SM, etc:)) Curious if the interior trim or T-tops rattle/leak?

Browsing all day to absorb all this TTA info. Reminds me of when I was looking for by Buick so long ago....

It looks like the TTA and Buick share the same motor (except the heads, drilled crank, pistons, & headers) and tranny. If I make the move over to a TTA, then there's no difference in tuning or needing to learn about any "quirks" specific to the car? I know how the Buicks can be finicky sometimes.

Well, if there are any California TTA owners looking to trade, let me know. I'd rather not travel out of state and don't want to deal with rust issues. For info on my car, you can do a search with my name.

Gotta love this site!

TIA

Even at shows the only people who really stop and look are when they walk by and realize I "swapped" a Grand National motor in there.

Reminds me, the autozone employee insisted that someone had swapped in the V6 because it doesn't show any listing for a T/A with anying but an F or 8

The proper response might have gone " Well? $200 and 12 seconds and maybe you'll find out"

I have to disagree on the instrument cluster looking "cheesy" on the firebirds. I always thought they did a nice job on it, reminded me of being in an airplane. The clusters before 1986 were cheesy in my opinion. When I had my buick that had to be one of the worst things I hated about it.

As far as the t-tops, I don't have much rattle with them, but they do leak some. The car hardly sees any rain, so I really don't worry about it.

When I drove my TTA as my daily ride I had a 10yr old kid walk up to me at a gas station and asked me if the car was a real turbo trans am. I was shocked and replied, "why yes it is, how did you know?" His dad walked over and apologized if he son was bothering me. It was no bother at all to me. The dad said their neighbor used to have a TTA and currently has a Syclone so he recognized the fender badges. I opened the hood, showed him the engine, answered all of his questions, and even let him sit in the driver seat. Both the kid and the dad thanked me. The dad said he will be talking about this for atleast a week. Made my day.

To give an idea of how rare these cars are, I had an ex Pontiac dealership salesman buy a car from me and had never seen a TTA in person till he saw mine. He told me what he had heard about the cars and was so happy to finally get to see one up close.

Did you tell him that his cobra was one of a million fox bodies and will end up in a trailer park in about 10 years, where as TTAs will likley end up on Barret Jackson in 10 years? I would have stalked that dude until I caught him at a stop light. Those SC cobras are bad ass though, better have your sh*t together if you race one of those.

I agree. But there was a mass exodus from the Buick community when those supercharged Cobras came out. The personality of our community evolved a lot during that time too. For a couple months there, half the posts at TB.com were wowing the HUGE torque numbers on fairly stock Cobra's...

I agree. But there was a mass exodus from the Buick community when those supercharged Cobras came out. The personality of our community evolved a lot during that time too. For a couple months there, half the posts at TB.com were wowing the HUGE torque numbers on fairly stock Cobra's...

I totally want one!. For a daily driver! Turbo TA stays under covers till sweet days in the sun...;)

When I drove my TTA as my daily ride I had a 10yr old kid walk up to me at a gas station and asked me if the car was a real turbo trans am. I was shocked and replied, "why yes it is, how did you know?" His dad walked over and apologized if he son was bothering me. It was no bother at all to me. The dad said their neighbor used to have a TTA and currently has a Syclone so he recognized the fender badges. I opened the hood, showed him the engine, answered all of his questions, and even let him sit in the driver seat. Both the kid and the dad thanked me. The dad said he will be talking about this for atleast a week. Made my day.

To give an idea of how rare these cars are, I had an ex Pontiac dealership salesman buy a car from me and had never seen a TTA in person till he saw mine. He told me what he had heard about the cars and was so happy to finally get to see one up close.

Cool story.:smile:

You wouldn't happen to live somewhere in the Cleveland area would you? My TTA was bought new in Parma, OH but an exec who drove it for a couple of summers, kept it about 4-5 years and traded it in on a Cyclone. I exchanged emails with him a few years back and he said he cried remembering how much fun he had in the car.