Questions on swapping a non lockup to lockup

WH1Driver

Apparently the car I bought has a non lockup tranny setup. From what I've read this does not benefit me to much in the street/daily driving I'll be doing. What are the benefits of lockup vs. non lockup? Will I be okay driving my car on longer (3-4 hour) highway trips?

I went from a non LU art carr 3000 to a lu Pats 2800 and Im very happy with the change. Now, I can cruise it at WAY lower rpm at speed.. When I lock it too I can watch the temp drop another 8 degrees:)

What are the parts or changes required to go from n/l to lock? I know you would need a new converter, but what else do you have to have to do to the tranny?

How did you set it up so that you can lock or unlock it as you please? Can you simply keep it locked up all the time like when other people would be driving it and for road trips and then un lock it for the track?

The trans will have to be built to incorperate the lock up feature which was bypassed for the non LU converter..
The chip locks up the converter in 4th gear but I have also put in a switch to lock it anytime I want.. You don't want it to stay locked all the time. No good..

I C. So if others were driving it or if I was being forgetful to use the switch the chip would lock it up automatically? When would you want to unlock it? Anytime a mustang pulled up next to you?

actually the only time you want it LOCKED is when you are cruising in 4th gear above 45 mph.. The chip will not allow lock at wot either..

Well going back to lock up sounds like something I definetly want to do for the type of driving I'll be doing. Will I be endangering my transmission if I were to take a 3-4 hour trip crusing at 70mph? What are my limits with a non-lockup?

If you are not going 80 mph + speeds you will not do any damage to the engine without a LU converter.. But you will stress the engine less, run a lot cooler and get better gas mileage with a LU ..

Well swapping to lock up is in the books for sure. I just want to be sure that until then I'll be fine driving highway speeds for extended periods of time. You noticed an 8 degree temp difference between being locked up and not. That doesn't seem bad. I fear I will miss added the fuel economy in these days of high gas prices. I'm not familiar with the Pats converter you have now. I was looking around at convertors. Everyone seems split on restalled D5 convertors. But they are alot more attractive in price when compared to these 9/11 and art car jobs. How do you like yours and where does it stand in the scheme of things?

The Pats unit is a quality unit built in pa that is (I think) the best bang for the buck. Bar none..
Its a better converter then a restalled D5 for sure..
The price is very reasonable too.

Heres the web site..

http://www.patsperformanceconverters.com/

I have a #1003 XHD 10" extra heavy duty with anti ballooning plates. WAY stronger then a D5.. List price is $450..

Yeah those prices aren't bad. Here is a question to show my lack of knowledge on these. What is the benefit of the smaller diameter converters? It seems the same type in a smaller size jumps up almost double in price.

I don't want to answer for Pats BUT I think that the smaller converters are harder to make and are not rebuilt models.. The larger one may be .. Im not sure. Im guessing here.. Anyone know for sure??