Questions; need to make a decision th400 of 4L803

Dom87SS

ive been reading through 4L80e trans thread here and there through out the day. heres the dilemma. i need a strong trans, can care less about the weight. i was gonna put a th400 in the car, but got to thinking and i really would enjoy the car more with another gear (especially after riding around this weekend in my buddies 3 speed car). i can get a 4L80e core pretty cheap and can get the rebuild locally for about $2000. i just need to verify things before i jump into all this.

- will a th400 converter defiantly work in with this trans?
- how wide is the bell housing?
- on average what does one cost to build? i mean completely go through and replace 95% or more of the trans. core is from a junk yard and dont trust it.
- has anyone here put one in a g-body before?
- any issues with the manual valve bodied ones?
- any kind of issues i should watch for regardless?

I f you need a 4l80e give us a ring and we can discuss your options.631 218 1989 Chris.We are doing alot with them.

You'll be much happier with the 4L80E vs TH400. The extra gear is great along with a lockup conveter to further reduce cruise rpm and make it more efficient high gear. I'd recommend using a trans controller. Altering the shift points and line pressure is kickass. THE PCS/FAST units have a touch display available to make the adjustments. The PCS unit also can be had with built in boost controls.

I have CK Performance built TH400 and 4L80E units behind a few BBC's with twin turbos in heavy cars. Chris's stuff works!

my only concern at this point is getting the thing to spin up to 7500 easily. i know im gonna be slinging around a bit more weight internally, just dont know how it will affect the motor when its being run

NO the converter is different

About the same as 400

- on average what does one cost to build? i mean completely go through and replace 95% or more of the trans. core is from a junk yard and dont trust it.

Since they come out of trucks they have planet wear etc.
if you are anal $2000 including core will get you a stock 4L80

Yes not a big deal

Yes they are junk Put in a shift Computer like a PCS you will be glad you did

After market converters make sure you get a decent one or you will never spool a turbo

NO the converter is different

About the same as 400

Since they come out of trucks they have planet wear etc.
if you are anal $2000 including core will get you a stock 4L80

Yes not a big deal

Yes they are junk Put in a shift Computer like a PCS you will be glad you did

After market converters make sure you get a decent one or you will never spool a turbo

i dont know if i would trust the computer to shift for me t WOT, and i dont have to worry about boost as i have a nitrous small block. from reading through some more info i dont know if thus is the way to go either now. this is all very confusing at the moment. i know what i want, but it borders on the line of what i cant have. one from a durability and the other being a money stand point.

Just to add to what Lonnie has said. I know it doesn't concern you as much. With the N20 you can get a tighter converter and be OK.

For the turbo guys. You almost have to build a motor combination to work with the converter selection rather than the opposite. The large cubic inch V8's are fairly easy to match but the smaller ci motors with alot of turbo lack the converter selection needed to bring the combination together.

No computer needed.We make reverse and frward pattern full manual valve bodies with transbraake.

i dont know if i would trust the computer to shift for me t WOT, and i dont have to worry about boost as i have a nitrous small block. from reading through some more info i dont know if thus is the way to go either now. this is all very confusing at the moment. i know what i want, but it borders on the line of what i cant have. one from a durability and the other being a money stand point.

Did not know you had NOS assumed V-6 car. Typically Stock 4L80 converters are for pick up trucks and are very tight and heavy feel like 75lb. Good rebuild on stock transmission will probably get the job done. If used as an auto nothing to worry about. Never seen a manual work but if Chris says he's got one I would say it does.

do you really need a 80e? 60es have been built to handle around 6-700rwhp in 3500lb cars.

i like my OD and if i had to chose 4l80 would be the choice, if i was building a a drag car then look into the 400, if all out drag car run a glide

i made 605hp on motor 805hp on a 150 shot the first hit with out any fuel or timing adjustments. so it should make around 830ish on the same jet. now if i step up the jet it will put me up in the 950+ range on a 200 shot. so the 700/4l60 isnt much of a option for me at this point and either is the 200 i originally wanted to run. At least with a nitrous motor (hope to afford boost in the next couple years).

This will be a street car that will get raced. i think im gonna have to go with a 400 here. after much debate with about 4 trans guys. the best route for me now (being what i want to do with the car and the money i want to spend) a 4l80e is out of my budget range. And i still have some concerns about slinging the extra weight around and making my already heavy car a slug.

btw DB i love your car....gotta be the baddest real g-body "street" car out there. i love stacks car too....but the interior you have and the stock hood really make your car.