Questions as they come up about my V2 project!!

OK...............I think I gotch ya now...........that water pump hose use to go to the metal tube that ran next to the thermostat housing bolt...........that is welded off in the V2 kit and now you use the port under the thermo housing instead...oh me so dense...lol......I use the "s" hose here right?

Can I paint the metal tubes that run under the turbo and exhaust housing to the heater core? With a high temp paint or will they flake.............I already painted the sheild that holds those tubes that fits over the injections..........hope it doesnt flake.......it looked like sh!t before!!!..........thanks

TIA Nick

I painted my shield and valve covers and such with high temp black paint that withstands up to 700 degrees. So far so good. I had to bake the parts in the oven at 350 degrees for half an hour so they cured right. Sounds like a recipie for cookies :). But it seemed to work for me..

At 350 for 30 minutes..........ummmmm good:D
I have been painting them and let them stand and then do another coat.......Friday I should have my V2 on the engine and start getting my ta49 on and such.......but I may still be waiting for my ATR downpipe.......and my TPS sensor........but man she is coming around.....I am sure I will have some more question before it is all said and done........but thanks for the help so far guys, I will keep ya posted:cool: Nick

Put a K & N filter on it - you're gonna love that
turbo sneeze. Way cool. Wonder if your's will
do that, too. Keep us posted.

I got a 9in K&N cone on it now......right off the MAF......turbo sneeze hey? Cool I cant wait to hear it........and feel the power difference with the V2, TA49, & 40# injectors......I am going to kill my buddies rustang:eek: I already started trash talking him yesterday.........should be fun to see his face when I pull him by a few car lengths..........before I could stay out in front of him but not pull away from him(that was on a 35 roll though) from the hole I kill him........now I am just babbling so I will catch you guys later........Nick

I'll see if I can post you my pics. One thing about the setup you'll notice is the huge difference when you lay into it, and when you get off of it. Because the throttlebody is on the intake now and after the turbo, when you let off the gas and the throttle blade slaps shut, you get this wicked sound when you do so. sounds like the 86/7 intercooled gn's. And i'll tell you, the biggest thing you'll notice with the kit is the throttle responce. There is virtually no lag even with all the extra piping. It is moreso the intake that makes such a big difference in performance, although the intercooler helps quite a bit too. The intake outflows a stock 86/7 intake manifold. You'll have fun trust me. At 7 psi boost and the tm kit, my car pulled harder and faster then when i was at 14 psi boost and hotair. Right now i'm running 18 psi boost with the kit and its nutz insane. Just mash the pedal and watch the boost and mph climb like mad!:cool:

He's right. Runs hard, pulls like you won't believe!
I took some pics Wed. I don't knnow how to post them so
I'll email you some when I get them back.

Sweet guys I would really appreciate any and all pics you got on your V2 setup.:cool: I cant wait to get her running...........what amount of boost is practical when using the V2 intercooler with my Ta49 on 93 octane........I was running 15 without any knock with stock setup and spearco upfront.....but now the intercooler is going to be in the engine compartment........until next year.....hehe.......FFM:eek: (unless this modified 86/87 intercooler really suprises me) so i was thinking around 13 to 15 psi on the street is probably managable......funny thing is once I get it all back together I will have question on tuning it.......havent really had to do that yet either:D

I gotta tell ya guys, you really got me Fing pumped up to get this bad boy back out on the prowl........man I cant wait......sux.....I got lots of work yet to do......I am slow;)

Show me the pictures!!! ;) Nick

Hey guys what is this.................the copper thing in the vacumm line running under the EGR sensor?

click here http://community.webshots.com/photo/81565168/81565787sBHskG

Is this something that is stock, goes with the spearco intercooler setup, is it a check valve of some type???

Also if you look in that picture there is a vacumm line running towards the front of the car...........it runs right under the intercooler pipe that is coming off the turbo.....and on the end of this vacumm line is a nipple looking thing............is this some kind of blow of valve or something.........doesnt look stock.........I know you cant see the nipple in the picture, sorry........but what is that????

Nick

I'm not too sure what that is. Looks like a checkvalve of somesort or a boost controller. Cant tell too well from the picture. I'd search to see where the line runs and determine where it connects to and from. It probably will not be needed with the the new setup. Pretty well start from scratch with the new kit, and only try to use whats provided or needed to make things easier. Should not really be needed. I'm not really sure what the other line is you're talking about. But im sure it just leads to the vapor canister or something. Hard to say. Just take things off, and write yourself a couple notes so u know where things went. You'll be fine! :)

Oh 1 more thing I forgot to mention. Did you get a plug for the backside of the intake for the egr? if not just use a 3/4" plug from a plumbers pipe. thats what i got and it worked good.

HTH until netx time! :)

I got the EGR port taken care of, thanks...........I got all the fittings I need on the intake for cooly hoses, injectors and rail are on, AFPR is on, thermostat and housing is on, Trottle Body is on, all I need to do is slap the b!tch on their........right now I am still messin with the passenger side header and downpipe, but I should have the intake on by saturday night.....Get my turbo clocked the right way........and just start running my new vacumm lines.............

I took pictures of everything inbetween taking certain things off.....this should help me enough with the vacumm lines and the old stock vacumm block is still under the hood hooked up......lol...

All I am waiting on is my TPS sensor, ATR downpipe, ATR check valve, my free up pipe from the guy who sold me the V2 kit, and then just odds and ends that come up........I am taking it kinda slow, but just trying to do it right the first time and make sure everything is were it is suppose to be.

Later guys, Nick

Sounds like ot's coming together for you, that's good.
Now for the funniest part - getting it running.
BTW, have you hooked up your wastegate yet?
Are you going with a stocker or and external?
If you use a stock one, then I had to do a lot of fabbing
on the bracket to get it to fit right and clear the hood.
BTW, hood clearance is minimal at, best, with a stocker.
I asked Jay about this and he told me that it was designed
for an external waste gate.

Yes I am going to use my stock style adjustable wastegate.......what do I have to do to get this to work? Got any pictures? Will my TA49 fit in there without a hitch? I believe there casings are the same as stock, right? TIA........Nick

TA 49 will fit just fine, no problem. I had to trim the bracket some
and bend it a little so the waste gate rod wouldn't bind
on the vacuum housing.

I think I know what you mean.......but once i get to the problem it will be more visual............just got the fing header and down pipe out.........stripped bolt kept me hanging for two days now.....i got finally.........down pipe slide right out......sweet..........and I think I have a crack in the passenger header on the front most runner going up to the collector for the up pipe connection......damn............who welds these up or can I trust my local shop to do this.........these are cast iron and are a bitch to weld I heard......the crack just seems to get bigger on ya:confused: any vendors that specialize in this stuff??????

I am going to tackle the intake install tommorrow...........I think the torque numbers for intake to heads is 32ft/lbs????? Is that right?
TIA Nick

The headers are a low grade stainless steel and must be welded with a TIG welder. People who can do good TIG welding
are not plentiful, but they are around. Make sure they use
stainless filler wire. By all means, fix all leaks while you
are into it. Call your welding shops until you find one that
can do TIG welding, then tell them what you need.

Ahh............thanks......yes I though I had a leak inbetween the header and crossover, but both the flanges on them look mint.......so it must have been this crack........damn thing kept getting louder as I drove it.............

Do they need to have it supported or bolted down to something in case of warping it or something?

TIA Nick

The flange needs to be bolted/restrained flat
(al old junk head works), but restrained to a flat plate
will work. I had mine welded and he clamped it to a plate
It turned out fine, ie, no leaks.

Ok.......sounds good........thanks 6 to go!! I am going to get that done on Monday. Thanks agian.......Nick