Questions answered about amout of Zinc and Phosporus in the "New" oils ..........

ACME RACING

( Adult Swim )
:)

Here's some answers about the "New" oil rating....
Check out the chart on Zinc content and look at the STP oil additive in the red bottle vs other oils :eek: 3,932 ppm (parts per million) for STP, only 1290 for Royal Purple .....
I quess we just pour in a bottle of STP or use racing oil all the time...

Toyota, Porsche, BMW, Mercedes, Audi ....etc all us overhead cams that the cam lobe bangs on the shim/bucket, no roller lifter :eek: Plus, they have much stronger valve springs than our 80# Buick springs..... Guess they will change the cams every oil change.. :D

http://www.lnengineering.com/oil.html

ACME RACING said:
Check out the chart on Zinc content and look at the STP oil additive in the red bottle vs other oils :eek: 3,932 ppm (parts per million) for STP, only 1290 for Royal Purple .....

Well thats all and good but ZINC is only some of the story and there is no
way in hell I would ever pick STP over Royal purple :rolleyes:

No comparison to those overhead cam imported engines. The valve train, with no lifter and no pushrods, is MUCH lighter than the one for a pushrod engine. For the prices they charge for parts, they must be using the absolute best materials in the world, too. What is the level of zinc, phosph, etc, in the GM EOS?

ACME RACING said:

Here's some answers about the "New" oil rating....

Of course the STP additive is higher, it's an additive. If You add 1 pint of STP Blue additive to 4.5 quarts of oil, your PPM of the additive has just been divided by 10. So if you add 1 pint of STP blue to 4.5 qts of Valvoline Durablend with a zinc content of 732ppm your zinc content would end up with a zinc content of 1052 ppm (9*732 + 3932)/10 = 1052

David
87GN

p.s. based on that page, I won't be running Valvoline SYNpower in my gn again.

Ive been talking about ZDDP for months on here and how its the reason lobes have been wiping the past few years. Do a search on ZDDP and zinc and phosphorous and you'll find some of my posts. As for STP, no thanks. Valvoline SYN is where its at. They also make a valvoline SYN oil. The oildrop page above is a great site for checking out virgin and used oil analysis.
Why would anyone try and compare an additive to an oil? Of course the additive will have massive amounts more of additives. I ran royal purple for 5 years in my 600hp stock bottom end cobra. I would fire it up cold in the dead of winter, wait 5 seconds, get out there and powershift off the rev limiter (7500) over and over. I beat the hell out of that thing. It never let me down, and that engine had NO wear.