Questions about the SMC Alky

T

Turbodan

I have a 89 TTA and am looking to hook up some kind of Alky unit.
I noticed the tank is .5 gallons. How long does this tank last usally? Is there some kind of mounting bracket for this unit?
Any warranty on this unit? And how much faster will this unit make me go?*lol*

Don't worry...You'll love it

Well Turbodan...I've had my SMC kit for about 8 months now on my 87 GN. I'm able to run 20 psi of boost using 93 octane pump gas with zero knock retard showing on the Scanmaster. It will show a couple of degrees on the shifts when I'm really hammering it.

When I first put it on, I was going through a gallon of denatured alcohol in a week (Lot's of test-n-tune....yeah right...that's the ticket) I'm running straight denatured with a few squirts of grape flavored alcy top lube per tankful. The lube helps the pump out.

Now that the 'new' has worn off, I fill the 1/2 gallon tank about once every 2-3 weeks. I haven't been to the track yet, but I imagine a tankful would last 5-8 passes depending on how hard you were spraying it.

I'm not sure about warranty, but Steve C. at SMC is a straight-shooter and if you had any problems with the kit, he would make things right. The kit goes in quickly, looks good, works flawlessly, and is MAJOR fun. Once I got the feel of 20 psi of boost I was ADDICTED!!!!

It was the single best modification I have made to my car.

John

grape flavored alcy top lube

What's this? My SMC kit is on its way (or at least ordered). If it'll help the longevity of the pump, it sounds like a good thing.

Jim

With the stock nozzle it should last 12-15 1/4 mile passes...depending on how long your passes take of course!;)

once you get alchy, you're gonna get hooked. And yes there is a lot of test and tune to be done but its all worth it when you get everything in tune. I love my alchy:D and now I am able to make 21 lbs. and roast the tires.

Grape Alcy top lube

Turbojimmy....

The lube I use for the SMC pump is what the alcohol racers use in their fuel. Any decent speed shop should carry it...I know Jegs and Summit have it. They also have fuel fragrance, but what you want is what they call "toplube for alcohol engines". It comes in different "flavors"...my favorite is grape.

It mixes right up with the straight denatured alcohol I use with my SMC kit. One 16oz bottle mixes with a 55 gallon drum....so basically a bottle of the stuff will last forever if you're using it for alcohol injection.

Some guys just squirt some WD-40 in the tank each time they fill it up. If you use rubbing alcohol, you'll have to find something that is soluble in water. I've heard that RMI (coolant additive) is good for that.

It would be a good idea to run some kind of lube with the alcohol to help the pump last longer.

Hope this helps,
John