Questions about smog in CA from another state

baller760

I am in the market for a Grand National and I have found a few that I like. I live in California but there are no good GN's in Cali it seems. All the nice one are in other states. So, I have found some in New York, Georgia, and Texas....My question is, if I bring it over here will it be able to pass smog inspection in the rigors of California? Is there more smog crap on the California cars than in other states? I know New York has emissions so I should be okay from there but what about Texas and Georgia and what not?

Not on a GN. All the emissions equipment is the same except for the proms. The federal proms have less EGR. Also, CO is more of an issue on the east coast than CA. So passing the CA emissions test (with a federal car) should not pose any issues. Now if the equipment is not there, then you'll have issues with the smog check station.

I just bought mine from out of state. I had to put on a cat. It barely failed smog the first time.... But it passed the second time just fine. I'm assuming the new cat wasnt hot enough. You are right, there are very few to no decent GNs in Ca for sale under $20k. I have looked @ and driven several beat up ones in Socal. Good luck on your search and be patient.
:)

~Netic

I agree be patient, I just purchased an 86' Factory Stock, hard top GN with 62k miles, original paint, no mods, original exhaust and exceptionally clean (nearly ready for show) for $12.5k in Sacramento. This is the second TR I found in Ca. The first was a one owner WE4 I found in Corona with 57k miles same condtion...original down to the shocks. I was not too smart, I sold the WE4 to a gentleman in NJ. He was extremely pleased. Actually we became good friends over the transaction.

I asked a smog tech about purchasing an out of state car. He stated that, smog shouldn't be a problem if they have all of their original funtioning smog equipment and remain unmodified.

Watch for those Eastern cars, too many have corrosion issues, something we don't see here in Ca. (I'm located in Fresno) Believe me what is considered clean on the East Coast is different from what we define as clean on the West Coast. Not to say that there aren't clean ones on the East coast, because there are many....Just beware.

I may know of a low mileage 87' T if you are interested. Email me at 4coens@comcast.net and I will give you the specifics.

Aaron