Questions about GNX value

Turbo F-bird

I looked at a GNX last night and found a few mechanical problems so I'm wondering how that affects the value. It's priced close enough to the "affordable realm of the normal man" like myself so I expected some problems I'm just not sure in the future if they'll keep the price down or if they're of little consequence. It has the original gatorbacks on it and 14,000 miles. I see the T2L code on the trunk sticker and "GNX"on the plaque on the firewall as well as all the other GNX stuff.

Here's what I see:

Needs hood struts

needs valve cover gaskets

PS pump leaking

Intercooler screen is missing

left muffler has rot at the bottom edge where the seam is. Don't think it could be welded

right tailpipe has a dent and a pinhole on the underside of where it goes over the axle. The brake line below it has been hitting it. I'm surprised they could contact each other

Right side of Y pipe was bottomed out on something and got a crease and a couple of pinholes poked in it. These you could weld up pretty easily

Undercoating everywhere. The panhard rod was undercoated and undercoat is on the differential cover above and below the panhard rod. Is this normal? The ladder bar is undercoated too. Some of the undercoat looks dull and dry and some is shiny. Shouldn't it be one uniform finish?

Over spray on the rockers pretty much from the front of the doors to the rear bumper fillers so I'm assuming some paint work was done at some point

Rear fender flares have separated from the body about 8" up from the exhaust pipe end of them. Looks like double sided tape or whatever attaches them has lost it's stick

Trunklid is too low on left rear corner and about 1/4" too far back. General gaps around it are kind of crappy

There's an alarm in the car and an LED light and small rocker switch are mounted in the dash panel to the right and left of the steering column.

I know everything here could be repaired fairly easily but I'm worried that if the exhaust had to be changed, paintwork has been done, etc it will hurt the value far more than a GN/TR. Am I worrying needlessly? This is a high dollar car and I admit I'm being really anal and looking hard at everything. Is any of this stuff common to GNX's?

The paint on the car looks very deep and the panels look straight. I didn't see any obvious accident damage or anything funny underneath. Maybe it was painted because the original paint was poor? Have not spoken to the owner yet I was looking at it with his brother and a friend of mine who knows him. I'm going to be talking to the owner today and get the history of the car. He's supposed to have a clean Carfax for it too.

Thanks!

sounds likethe typical stuff that happens when a car sits too much. it's almost harder on a car to sit than it is to just drive them.
the exhaust is rotting because it probably mosly only ever got started and run long enough to move it around and not allow the engine and exhaust system get up to temp.
it probably got repainted to fix the crappy stock paint- i think there was a GM wide recall on cars and truck built throughout the 80's.
i don't think i'd be looking at a Carfax as a reliable form of documentation for a 22 year old car.
from the description, it sounds like it would make an awesome car to actually drive once in a while. it's nice- but not so nice that you are afraid to leave it in a parking lot every once in a while..

I wouldn't be scared off by those details. Like said above.....if you can afford it then buy it. Drive it, enjoy it and realize you WON'T ever lose money on the car.:)

If a "common man" can buy a 14k mile origional GNX then by all means buy it if it is legit. You will never lose money....

PM me his Phone number for you and I will verify the car for you:cool: :p :D

I'm as "common" as anyone so if I can afford it pretty much anyone can! That's one of the things that scare me about this car in truth. The owner is in an unfortunate situation right now so he's selling off all his cars but still....

I have to sell my TTA and TR to fund this thing though so I want to make sure it's worth it. I know losing money on a GNX is kind of hard to do unless you buy it real high but with my luck I'll buy the one that has just enough wrong with it that the value will drop. I'm just nervous so I sought out the opinions of the GNX experts and like-minded Buick people on here. Thanks for your input guys!

Attachments

• farm1.JPG
    farm1.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 311
If I told you what "barn" it was in Dan you'd buy it and the barn too!

It's in New Hampshire right now. I'll PM you the Vin if you can verify it for me John DeereGN. I emailed 3 of the GNX registry people with the VIN but haven't had any responses yet. It is Sunday so maybe they're all in church!
Everything I know to look for is there but I'm not an expert.

If I told you what "barn" it was in Dan you'd buy it and the barn too!

It's in New Hampshire right now. I'll PM you the Vin if you can verify it for me John DeereGN. I emailed 3 of the GNX registry people with the VIN but haven't had any responses yet. It is Sunday so maybe they're all in church!
Everything I know to look for is there but I'm not an expert.

Better send me the Guys Phone number:p :p :p

I don't NEED a car I can't drive :p Personally I would go for a new Shelby :biggrin:

I might just buy a Shelby yet Dan.

I took the Regal to the dealer to get it appraised this afternoon. They're gonna let me know what they can get for it some time soon. I'll probably bring the TTA there next Friday. I posted the TTA a few minutes ago on here and I'll list the Regal later on. That'll hurt! It's sooo nice.

Did you get the pics of the GNX I sent you last night?

I don't NEED a car I can't drive :p Personally I would go for a new Shelby :biggrin:

Saw a Red/White Striped one last week at a dealer of mine.

He siad he had the dealership upgrade the blower etc etc and it was cranking out 650 HP. Sounded damn sweet but he wouldnt let us drive it:p

Did you get the pics of the GNX I sent you last night?

ya I got em.. I sent them to about a 100 guys who have been emailing me here about the car with the guys name and phone # .. That isn't a problem ...right :confused: :p
As far as the car it looked fine as far as I could see.. Did ya get any pics of the floors an so on ??
Dammmit!! I have another 8 PM's about this car :rolleyes: :biggrin:

I didn't take any pics of the floors but they put it on a lift so I could walk under it. They're fine just undercoated all over the place so I wasn't sure if they came that way or what. The panhard rod is coated, everything. I just spoke to the owner and he says his friend bought it in 1999 and he bought it off him in 2004. Clean carfax, no accidents listed or evident (I agree). The paint was checked on the hood so he had most of the car painted so that explains that. His friend is the one who registered it with the GNX Registry too.

So I have to sell my cars before I can buy it unless you want to loan me the $$$ and store it. If you want me to reply to the guys who are PM'ing you I'd be glad to. I know how busy you are :p

I agree, A GNX is a collector car for someone who has a great deal of disposable money. If one is too afraid to drive it what fun would that be? If I was gonna drop that kinda coin on something I would opt for a new Camaro or even a Shelby.

actually I am lookin at 2 other Buicks now:rolleyes: . 1 comes home thats it !! I think :eek: Good thing Brett bought that other car I hallucinated about !!