Question on colum shifter TR's

ROYAL_6

This is my question. it is going to be hard to explainit. But do the sell a nutural safety lock or reverse safety lock for a column shifted TR?? I know they sell floor shifter's (GN's and T-TYPE's) with reverse lock up, so when you are bangging through gears you wont jump it to nutural or reverse.... does any sell anything out there for the column shifted tr's?????

any one?? where my LIMITED brothers at?? do you guys run trans breaks on your column shifted TR's.. do you go thrugh all the gears or just let it ride??? any one???:confused: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Trans break w/ reverse manual valve body, you should go that route or leave in in D

I've never had a problem on my column shift cars. I've developed a technique when mamual shifting. Dont pull the lever. Just push it up on the 2 to 3 and 3 to 4 shift. It'll slide into the detents.

I am not aware of a reverse lock out for the column shift guys. What I have toyed with was to reduce the pressure that the detent spring applies to the selecter shaft under the pan of the tranny. It took a few tries to get a "feel" I liked but in the end, I think it reduces the possibility of jumping past Drive... OverDive..neutral and ending up in R.:eek:
By the way, I prefer to launch in 2nd and only shift into Drive.:D

well first let me thank all of you for your time... secondly, none of you guys (column shifted) have a trans break??? i heard that the one ART CARR sells, the trans break in ingaged by dropping it to 1st gear.. so that meens, you ar going to shift up to 2nd and 3rd... so most of you guys eighter launch your car form 2nd to 3rd, or just put in on drive and go...???:)

When using a T-brake you would start in D(1st) and end in 1st( 3rd) remember the pattern is reversed.

When using a T-brake you would start in D(1st) and end in 1st( 3rd) remember the pattern is reversed.
1st gear, would activate the trans break.. which is all the way to the bottom... then to jump out of the trans break you would have to shift up... but there have been one or two occasions , where i have gone pass 3rd and into nuetral when shifting up..... i dont have a trans break, but thats on my "next to do list".. so i was just wondering if they made a safety revers/nnuetral lock.... but i guess not.. thanks for all you guys in-put....:biggrin:

No with a trans break you shift down , yes first does activate it but like I said before D=1, 2=2, 1=3

NoJug, I think is talking about a "Stagerite" type brake.

That is the type of brake you were describing above. First gear is the brake, shift into 2nd releases the brake. Here is a quote from Blazer406 in a different post:

I'll put 2 cents in here......

I researched this quite extensively. The electric brakes like the bat brake are better in the fact (in a nutshell) that they hold the low clutches on until you go to second. The stagerite releases these and supposedly is potentially harder on the hard parts.

Reality is this..... Stagerite style brakes are much cheaper. They are on some fast cars (sub 10 second) cars w/o breaking anything. They are no harder on the hard parts than leaving on the same boost with a foot brake as you would with the transbrake.... ie. it's just like leaving on the footbrake.... The biggest dis-advantage as far as I can tell for a mild combo like I have..... is how to activate it... I don't like it.... You shift to manual 1st on the shifter..... nail the gas (or nail it enough to build the boost you want).... and when you move the shifter to manual 2nd..... it releases. I'm not to sure I would like that.

The BatBrake or some of the other vendors electric style brakes you use a button just like everybody else with a transbrake....when you release the button your off and running..... and supposedly it is easier on your tranny.

I will probably elect to go with the electric style brake at some point just because I don't care for how the stagerite style brake activates......

I'm sure at some HP level.... the electric is a must-have over the stage-rite... but I don't think that is the low 11 second hp level.... IMHO it is much more HP where the electrics are a "must have"

HTH

this is my confusion......... the trans-b is activated when put into 1st gear.. to pop out of it you have to shift up to second and so forth......... D=3rdGEAR( NEXT TO NUETRAL:biggrin: ) shifting down would take it to 2nd shift down again and into first.(where the trans break would be activated).... nojug explain this exact thing, but the other way around... where d=1stgear(next to nuetral) shift down to 2nd gear , shift down again and you'll be shifting to 3rd and so forth.. now my question is.. how is this done?? am i reading this right? when you put a trans break, does this automaticaly reverses the gears, where you are shifting down instead of up?????? get my confusion???:confused: :biggrin: sorry for the million's of questions.......:biggrin:

That is correct! When pull it down into first, it activates the brake. Doing that at any speed, stuff will break:eek: !

My T brake in my limited is in a 400 it is activated by a button, sorry for the confusion

The only T-brake they make for a 400 requires a reverse manual valve body which switches the pattern.