Question for those with vacuum brakes...

turbocvc

Ok guys, I'm about ready to swap to a vacuum setup and noticed that there is a single diaphram and a dual diaphram brake booster. For the guys that have done the swap, which one did you use? What are the pros/cons of using either one? Thanks in advance.

-T

Pros:
-vac setups will stop the car.

Cons:
-many people complain of not being able to hold boost at the line with the vac setup
-Brakes sometimes do not have a consistent feel due to loss of vacuum (boost)

Solution: Hydroboost ...research it.

HTH ---Keith

Well, with the current powermaster it can barely hold 4 psi of boost without breaking the tires loose. If the vacuum setup can hold that I'm ok with it. I just don't feel safe with the current system as it has scared the pi$$ out of me too many times. My question was...what is the difference between the single and dual diaphram boosters, except for the obvious, one is single and the other is dual. Is one better than the other? Which one are you guys/gals using?

-T

Im just saying if you are doing a conversion, to consider using a hydroboost system instead of the vac or the powermaster. Its the best system out there for the turbo cars. Many people can hold 10 plus pounds with the HB.

I'll consider all options as I don't want to rebuild the powermaster. I've heard lots of raves on the vacuum setup and it seems that it was the way to go. I've heard a few with the hydroboost, but everyone with the vacuum swap loved theres, so I was ready to jump on the band wagon. Anyways, I'll do some research on the hydroboost setup.

-T

I have a dual diaphram on mine and its ok, A friend has Hydrooboost on his its crazy how much better it is !!

vacumn setup

dual diaphram works better than single, ( kinda like 2 stage compressor)
go for dual if you have a choice.
not knocking hydroboost, but vac is so much simpler, I have it on 2 of my cars, ( one has cam w/ 236 duration!) they work great, but.... if you use them repeatedly at low vac, ( under boost) you will run out of vacumn,
the vac canister stores vacumn, and will allow for 4-5 applications after car is off.

I have a friend that almost slammed into the back of a car because his pump fail w/out warning. He loves his vacumn setup. Of course this maybe an isolated incident so I'm not slamming the hydroboost system since mine still works flawlessly. I'm going to knock on wood now.

I had plan on doing the vacuum setup just because it was a straight forward swap like cruzn57 said. I basically had my mind made up, just didn't know which booster to use. But now all this hydroboost got me thinkin twice... It'll be parked all winter so I guess I can do a little more research before I commit.

Hydroboost is the way to go. They have a accumulator that takes over if the motor dies. davidf's buddie must of had something wrong with his or maybe he had a powermaster that failed. I have not started my car in a couple weeks and the hydroboost is still holding charge.

Vacuum can work well for some. I could never get it to work right in mine but I know I had some other issues that were all resolved once I replaced every line, piece of hardware, cylinders, combo valve, rebuilt front calipers and installed a hydroboost system. My brakes now are insane. The brake pedal moves about a 1/4' then you are through the windshield. I kid you not.

Dang...I wanted to spend my extra money making my car go faster...not making it slow down. Looks like its back to the drawing board and more research on what's better for me. I plan on keeping this car for really long time so I want to invest what I can for the long term.

I have this Hotchkis Performance listing for their 12" brake conversion. it shows the parts list for the 87 Monte Carlo SS to convert the GN to vacuum brakes:

vacuum booster:
GM 18010120
Wagner 541243
Bendix 2514488

brake pedal GM 1256193
pedal bushing GM 15594358

master cylinder from a 81-96 Chev Caprice:
GM 25509416
Wagner F104460
Bendix 12011

and then you'll need the brake lines down from the master cyl, and I think there was a firewall gasket for the vacuum booster. I don't have those part #'s.

David is referring to a PowerMaster. I just looked at a pic of his engine bay and it's definately a PowerMaster. David, btw, nice car buddy!:biggrin:

Read here, it will shed some light on HB: (specifically posts #24, #27 & #30.)

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/general-turbo-buick-tech/303571-powermaster-vs-vac-brakes.html

I just followed this thread and decided to price all parts you had listed. I guess inflation hit because the hydrobooster is now 231.99 compared to 159.99 and the master cylinder is 30.99 compared to 18.99. That was at Autozone, I haven't priced at others yet. I'm gonna search around some more and see were the best deal is.

DEFINATELY shop around. Oreillys was the cheapest for the booster around here. Autozone was the cheapest for the pressure lines.

People say what they want...... but....... the TTA had Vac brakes from the factory. I say save the cash and go VAC.

If you have the extra cash go for it.

When I did the swap to vac I was doubtful as well. So far so good its been 3 years.

Vac conversion is straight forward and a lot less trouble to install. If you need high boost launches install a transbrake.

Vac conversion is straight forward and a lot less trouble to install. If you need high boost launches install a transbrake.
I concur...
People using the s 10 wheel cylinders and 4 large shoes overtime will kill/bendthe backing plates on the rear end with 10 psi launches.

Transbrake is the way is you want to launch on boost