Question for those running DR's....

tonka

How much boost have you been able to successfully launch off the line with and not lose traction? Assuming a well prepped surface, etc. Looking for what the limit is that these tires will hold without breaking loose.

Nitto Drag Radials

Lebanon Valley Dragway 2-4 psi.

Englishtown Raceway Park 6 psi. probably could have tried 8.

My brakes hold about 7 psi. I floor it before I release them and figure the boost can get to 10-12 psi before the car moves. on a prepped track this results in 1.66 or so 60fts. 18 psi in the tires stock d5 converter, 275/60 BFG's.

I just bought some brand new BFG 275/50s. I was amazed because I could build 8 pounds without spinning the tires! However, when I let off the brake the tires spun. I could build 5lbs and take off without wheelspin until I hit 2nd. Then I'd get a tad spin in 2nd. I couldn't believe the difference. :eek:

Salvage, what size tire are you running again? Don't remember if I read it somewhere before or not...

UNGN, what differences do you think you would see in your car's launch if you went back to 50's instead of the 60's? Think you would be limited on launch boost? 1-2 lbs?

Nittos are 275/60/15, sorry about that... :)

LVD sucks for traction ask anyone.

I must admit trying 8psi. off the line and spinning all the way into second gear is kinda fun however. :cool:

Well until you pick up the time slip. :D

How many miles can you get out out a pair of DR's or better yet
how many track runs are they got for?

To the guys who run them, how do they behave for you on the street & in the rain?

Thanks,

Todd

Todd, I have BFGs and I drove them recently through a lot of rain. They were fine, but they were almost new with plenty of tread. Most here believe the Nittos are much better in the rain, and they probably are, but my feeling is that you buy a drag radial to hook. The BFGs do that!

275/50/15 Nitto's at 22 psi allowed me to launch at 5 psi at Lebanon valley. Tires spun maybe 1 revolution then hooked and took off. More tweaking with my launch technique and tire pressure, etc, and i'm sure i could have launched much harder. These tires have behaved really well for me on the street in pouring rain, sunny day's, whatever. After driving for a few miles, or when the pavement is really warm, these tires hook very well from a dead dig. Plus, the "big" tire looks bad ass :cool:

There is no replacement, at the track, when running true ET drags or similiar slick. I've tried Nitto's 26" DR, BFG 26" DR, ET Streets, and ET DRAG's. DR will work and are great for the street but are difficult to get consistant 60's in the 1.5's or lower. There are locals that are pulling 1.50's locally but it depends on track prep, weather conditions, heating the tires enough, suspension mods, etc.. I'm convinced if you want to run good ET's and good 60's then ET drags is the choice. FWIW most of the TSM class at BG ran ET DRAGS or similiar slick to knock off 9-10s time slips. Just my .02..

Mike Banas
87GN

What PSI are you guys running at the track? I've tried 16, 18, 30 and thought I did well with the 18, but some of the dudes are saying I shouldn't run less than 22.

I guess all cars are diffrent mine had ss lowers boxed uppers kyb shocks and stock springs I have 245/50/16 nitto's righ now and I can launch from 8psi with no spin 7-8 times. ..And my car is no bitch running 11.20's on those tires in the 1/4