Question for the experts...

zBuick, what year car are you working on? The later cars had the torque arm which makes trans change a little more difficult. The TH-350 is a bolt in with the correct tailshaft housing. The 200-4R will bea bunch more work but it is possible. Also, the stock turbo headers will not fit in an H-body without work. The hit the A-arm supports. I don't remember exactly but I think it was the collector region. Finally, yes, there are early low port heads and later high port heads. The headers are not the same. But, if the engine (4.1) holds water you absolutely have the later heads. The early heads won't fully support the headgasket so water fills the crankcase. Yep, did that. Ever seen water dripping from the front seal? Anyway, the H-body headers are very specific and I have not found a set yet that will fit unlesthey are H-body specific. I am also pretty darn sure nobody still makes an H-body V6 set of heades anymore. Ebay is your friend. But, for a mild build the stock manifolds will work fine. I think I still have a set that fit but I would have to check.

well i can tell ya the 86/87 headers on the 4.1 wont fit. no ways no hows.... wont clear the steering on the driver side and the acceseories are mostly on the pass side. 86/87 bracket will not fit in the skyhawk.

the adapter on the 4bbl intake is basicly what i run on my trucks.... but it wont fit under the hood of a skyhawk. the 4bbl intake is too high. also there is only one particular 4bbl intake that the adapter plate can actually be used on since the turbo plenum has "incline" made into it, the incline of the intake + the incline of the turbo plenum = a carb the runs like shit cause its leaning way foreward.

the stock cast turbo manifolds will fit however........... with the factory aceccories brackets included! but you will need the factory intake to keep the turbo under the hood. and you will have to change your AC accumilator to a 86-90 S10 one. I have a down pipe for the stock style system, however it was made to fit the 301 exhaust housing.... so i dont know if thats worth any beans to you.

I have several remanufactured ESC systems....

Great deal on that 4.1. If you go N/A with it, the Holley manifold has a dual bolt pattern, if I remember correctly, if it's the open plenum design. You could use a Quadrajet or a square bolt pattern carb on it. Headers might be a problem if going N/A since early Skyhawks had odd fire engines, then I think went to even fire with low port, and then high port heads. Your heads look like the high ports. There may still be a set of KB 3 into 1 headers around that will fit.

Finally, yes, there are early low port heads and later high port heads. The early heads won't fully support the headgasket so water fills the crankcase.
There are 2 different low port head designs. The 77.5 and earlier, and the 77.5-78 heads. The first ones won't work on an even fire engine but the later heads will and seal properly. They were designed for the even fire engine that was new in 77.5 production. You don't see them very often tough so I doubt that you've got them on the 4.1 block. The biggest difference in the very early heads is that most of them came with bolt on rocker shaft pedestals and the 77.5-78 have cast in pedestals. There were very few Olds heads that were specific for the Buick V6 before 77.5 and they did have the cast in pedestals.;)

If you need an NA intake I've got 3 different ones that will work on high ports and 1 for low ports and unless I go blow through I won't be using them.;)

Hi all, thanks for all the replies. To clarify I did get and 84 4.1. It obviously (if you saw the pics) is not a factory setup. I am not trying to stuff the turbo in the Skyhawk - which btw, is a 78. I simply wanted a good V6 that can be built somewhat better than stock, NA. I am sorry for those that made the effort to reply thinking I was keeping the turbo. The engine I got happened to be modified by someone, somehow. I simply grabbed it for the price, and it has a 4.1 stamp. The drivers side header looks really nice, and hope it fits in the Skyhawk. Would love to have one made or modify the one thats there on the pass side for non-turbo use. Maybe someone out there can use the headers if I don't.

So...

I will verify that the heads are 84 as well. I believe they are. So in the NA form, whats the best intake/exhaust to use. It has a Holley on it, and a couple of you say you have factory intakes that are good as well. Whatever will work best. Will post in the wanted section if no one following this has them, but it appears I will need exhaust manifolds that fit this 84..

Thanks again to all. All good info!

38.jpg
Here is the car. Couldn't embed the pic for some reason... copy and paste into browser.

zamiska.net/Cars/38.jpg

Got off ebay late last year for $800.

"Best" is relative as far as intakes. For most street driving a dual plane intake will help with bottom end and a single plane will give you more top end. If you go with the single plane you can gain back some bottom end with a spread bore style carb. The smaller primaries will speed the air/fuel charge for street performance as well as give you a little better gas mileage.;) I used a modified 4.1 ,4 barrel intake on my old Skyhawk and it had great street manors as well as good acceleration at full throttle.:D I believe I had those same wheels on mine.:cool: LOL

OK, thanks for that info. I like bottom end. So can you please tell me which are dual plane. I read somewhere which was which, now I don't remember where.

OK, thanks for that info. I like bottom end. So can you please tell me which are dual plane. I read somewhere which was which, now I don't remember where.
Edelbrock or a modified 4.1 intake. To use a spread bore on an Edelbrock you'll need an adapter but stay away from the Edelbrock carbs. Those things are junk, and I'm being nice. If you look at the sticky's in this section there's a post about how to modify the 4.1 intake for better flow and you can find them on evilbay cheap once in a while.;)

The Pacesetters - making them or not, does anyone know if they'll fit the skyhawk? Would love to at least put headers on it...
So for intakes, looks like the Edelbrock or modified 4.1.

CharlieF1, sell me a good 4.1 intake so I can modify it?
FuzzyGN, do you have a set of decent wheel well moldings for the Skyhawk.
And, anyone want to sell headers that will work on the 4.1 and the Skyhawk, let me know.

Also, just got this on ebay, figured I really can't go wrong...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221225429497?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

The Pacesetters - making them or not, does anyone know if they'll fit the skyhawk? Would love to at least put headers on it...

I don't know the answer to that question but I'm sure some Skyhawk owners will shine in. I might part with my Pacesetters if it turns out they fit and you want to buy 'em, (they already have the O2 sensor bunghole welded in on the passengers side as a bonus. They did'nt come with that). I got pics somewere. But find out first if you're interested..
...Also, just got this on ebay, figured I really can't go wrong...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221225429497?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Now that was a smoking hot deal! :eek: Man you lucked out. Keep in mind that that carb needs the ECM system fully functional.

There's another guy here from NY that has a set of real nice headers that are ceramic coated. He's been trying to sell them for the longest time. Not sure if he still wants to part with them let alone remember his sig.

CharlieF1, sell me a good 4.1 intake so I can modify it?
I've got 2 4.1 intakes right now and 1 of them is really rough, to say the least:( . The other 1 is is from the sticky post so you know how much time I spent on it. I still need to blast it so it has a better distribution and fuel mixture of an NA engine. PM me an offer and if I don't like it I can PM you a counter offer.;)

I have never seen a set of H-body headers made by Pacesetter. Not sure if that means they never made thm or not but I have seen and owned my fair share of H-body V6 headers. Most likely they were made for the Regal which is not even sorta close to working. They really aren't even a good starting point to modify. The only headers I have now that I am not using are for low port heads. Dr Frankenstien got mySkyhawk so I don't have any body parts left. Contact him for those types of parts.

id say your best bet here, is to hope and pray and wish and cry and plead that a set of hooker headers from a GN turbo set will fit.

I doubt they will......... but id hope anyways. also i have a stock 4bbl intake if you need that too.

LMAO... that car looks just like my monza! a little rough around the edges but beefy! love it! so cool.

Nope, the Hooker turbo headers do not fit the H-body. That is why AJ has them now. Been there and tried that too. They do however fit a Luv truck so if you are building one of those you are in luck. Really your best bet is ebay. You need to wait because they do not com often but when they do bid strong. Just make sure they are for the high port heads.