Question for Bob Bailey

Morden

I have an EXTENDER EXTREME CHIP now with 55lb injectors. I would like to change out my low Z computer and add 80lb injectors. Would I need a New chip or to have this one reprogrammed?
I also have the Translator + and would like to move to the Gen 2 anything I should know before such a move?
Also my idle has always moved around from 825 to 925. I have chased this for a year or so now.
Any idea what might cause this? I have replaced every vacuum line on the car and tested them for leaks. I also sent my injectors to have them tested and cleaned. All was fine with them. I also have dual fuel pumps in the tank. I have checked the fuel pressure and it is set at about 46-47 line off. I also have some questions about the TR6, But will hold them for now. I know this is a lot I really appreciate your time.

Thanks for your input and help.

I have an EXTENDER EXTREME CHIP now with 55lb injectors. I would like to change out my low Z computer and add 80lb injectors. Would I need a New chip or to have this one reprogrammed?
I also have the Translator + and would like to move to the Gen 2 anything I should know before such a move?
Also my idle has always moved around from 825 to 925. I have chased this for a year or so now.
Any idea what might cause this? I have replaced every vacuum line on the car and tested them for leaks. I also sent my injectors to have them tested and cleaned. All was fine with them. I also have dual fuel pumps in the tank. I have checked the fuel pressure and it is set at about 46-47 line off. I also have some questions about the TR6, But will hold them for now. I know this is a lot I really appreciate your time.

Thanks for your input and help.

You can have that chip reprogrammed to either an extreme or a Gen-2 style. Reprogramming it is cheaper than buying another one.

You can switch to 83lb injectors and leave the ECM alone, either way works.

Was the idle surging around, or just inconsistent? Do you have more data? (powerlogger files?)

What sort of TR6 questions?

Bob

Bob, I would say the idle was just inconsistent. It doesn't seem like it is surging to idle. I do not have a power logger but do have a scan master if those numbers would be of any benefit.
What is the difference in programming the chip- extreme vs Gen 2? Is there any benefit to going back to a standard ECM- performance or otherwise?
On the TR6 - if I go with LS1 coil packs would I need to fabricate a bracket to hold them on the valve covers or is that something that you or another vendor offer?
If i were to go with the Buick coil pack instead of the LS1 coil packs, would I use the same spark plug wires? Again, I appreciate your time with this.

Bob, I would say the idle was just inconsistent. It doesn't seem like it is surging to idle. I do not have a power logger but do have a scan master if those numbers would be of any benefit.
What is the difference in programming the chip- extreme vs Gen 2? Is there any benefit to going back to a standard ECM- performance or otherwise?
On the TR6 - if I go with LS1 coil packs would I need to fabricate a bracket to hold them on the valve covers or is that something that you or another vendor offer?
If i were to go with the Buick coil pack instead of the LS1 coil packs, would I use the same spark plug wires? Again, I appreciate your time with this.

It could be your cruise control cable hanging your throttle up some, park/neutral switch, leaky throttle shaft seals, sticky PCV checkvalve, or stuff like that. check the TPS and IAC numbers when its idling high vs low.

The Gen-2 chip is set up for WOT spark advance control. There is no real performance difference between the 80's and 83's. The 83's are a bit more consistent over temperature swings, but nothing most guys would notice (its just a part throttle tuning thing).

I don't have any brackets available for the individual coils. Most guys are going with the coil-pack version, with great success. For either the LS style or the coilpack style, you need the correct plug wires. The coil terminals on the later model stuff are a bit different (and better) than the old stuff.

Bob

Thank you Bob,
I'm going to tell you my idle problem in a different way and see if you still send me down the same road. I just don't think I explain things very well.
When I start the car it will idle at about 1025 then it will slowly come down to about 925 then the numbers will start moving from 925 to 875 then 850, 825, 875, 925, 850, 875 and so on and that is how the car idles?
I would need to send you my chip to get it reprogrammed for the 83's right?
One more question if my ECM were to go bad what would I have to do to a new ECM to make it work?
Also
TPS .44
IAC 38

Thanks again for your time

the datastream has a minimum resolution of 25 RPM, it sounds like you idle is wandering a little, but it doesn't sound too bad. Hard to tell more without actually being there.

That IAC seems a little high for idle, (you did not state if the AC was on).

Yes, the chip needs to be reprogrammed.

If the ECM fails, the drivers can be moved to another one.

Bob

Thanks again Bob
The AC is off with that number.
I will move it down to 20-30 this afternoon.
What Brand of injectors would you recommend?
Can I myself move the drivers to a New ECM? Or would I need to send it off?
Is it just a Chip?
If I do need to send it off who would I send it to?

Thanks so much for your time

I usually shoot for 10-20

all of the injectors are fine, I just wanted to make sure you were aware of all the alternatives.

switching out the drivers is surgery on the ECM, not sure if you have the tools for it.

Send the chip in to the vendor you purchased from. Most likely Full Throttle Speed.

Bob

Bob I have decided to buy a New ECM and 80lb injectors along with a New Chip and the TR6.
I figure I will sale all of my old stuff.(maybe)

I have a few questions.
1. Would it help if I provided you the part number or info from the old Extender Extreme chip sheet?
2. Can I still have the same features as my old Extender Extreme? (PM me if need be)
3. What coil pack is the TR6 using? Can it be bought at a local parts house if and when it fails?
4. I have a Translator Plus 6.22 anything going to change with it and the TR6?

I may have a few more questions.
Thanks again

Bob I have decided to buy a New ECM and 80lb injectors along with a New Chip and the TR6.
I figure I will sale all of my old stuff.(maybe)

I have a few questions.
1. Would it help if I provided you the part number or info from the old Extender Extreme chip sheet?
2. Can I still have the same features as my old Extender Extreme? (PM me if need be)
3. What coil pack is the TR6 using? Can it be bought at a local parts house if and when it fails?
4. I have a Translator Plus 6.22 anything going to change with it and the TR6?

I may have a few more questions.
Thanks again

Sounds like a reasonable approach.

For the new chip, just provide all the details when ordering. We have never removed features from the chips, so depending on the vintage, the new chip will have additional features.

The TR6 uses the coilpack from a modern Silverado pickup with the V6 engine (or an Impala with the 3.9L engine), they are available thru the parts stores.

The latest version of the translator is 6.25, but the changes won't really affect you so you don't need to update it. There are no changes necessary to use it with the TR6.

There is a link to the TR6 stuff in my signature. The Magnecor wires are all we are using at the moment, they are really well made and perform very well.

Bob

Thanks Bob
Where all can I order the Chip from?
I went to Full Throttle speed, But didn't see where I could input the info?

they don't have a web interface for the chips like TT, you need to call them.

Bob

Bob i ordered the chip and injectors along with the powerlogger and Maf gen 2.
I was told that i had to have the chip programmed for the gen 2?
I had hoped that i could use the translator plus then switch to the gen 2.
I will be ordering the tr6 later this week.
I also ordered a 050BUICKADAPT is this what i need to go from the gen 2 to the Maf sensor?
almost forgot and the caspers plug and play for the gen 2.
Did you need to know how much boost I'm running for the chip.

Thanks again !

The chips need to match the injectors and your MAF system, so you need to figure out your plan of attack. You can run the extender extreme with the Gen-2, but not the other way around.

The BuickAdapt lets you plug your MAF into the stock harness.

If you give me the number on your old chip, I can match up the wastegate setting.

Bob