Question for 3.5 inch MAF pipe users

Lhorn

I'm trying to install an LS1 maf and would like to use a 3.5 in pipe. I'm looking at the Big Mouth Shorty kit, but they recommend using an angle boss for the IAC sensor because of clearance issues. Problem is that boss from BOPengineering costs 60 bucks plus shipping. Seems a bit excessive and trying to do this on a reasonable budget, this might make me rethink using this kit. Is it really necessary? Is there a way to do this cheaper? Is there another 3.5 in pipe out there without these issues? I like the looks of the kit and like to support this boards sponsors, but after all is said and done, this is gonna push way over $225 just to put in my MAF. I guess I could just wait for a 3 inch pipe to come up for sale on the used parts board and be done for under 75 dollars including filter.

Thanks

I have a 3" set-up now and it is really close to the IAC plug.
I have to remove intake pipe to unplg the IAC.

I have the big mouth cold air kit with the 3-1/2" MAF pipe.... and the LS1 MAF meter. I too replaced the IAC mount with an angle boss. I don't think it would work without it.... just too close.

I've got a 4" pipe with no angle boss.

You can remove the back part of the IACV connector to gain about 1/4" of room and flex the wires a bit more.

If Mark says his kit won't fit with the 3.5" pipe he sells, believe him, if he says it's a tight or close fit the trick above works fine to gain a bit of room and might fit without the boss.

I sourced my own coupler fittings but the pipe is one of Marks 4" cold air kit pieces from a stage motor car, I just used the parts I needed that fit, mainly a straight section and the elbow for the cold air part.

I use Mark's 4" MAF pipe without an angle boss... no problems. Yes, you will have to remove the pipe to unplug the connector.

Scott Atk said:
I use Mark's 4" MAF pipe without an angle boss... no problems. Yes, you will have to remove the pipe to unplug the connector.

I stand corrected.....

I have the buickgn.com 3.5" pipe. It hits the IAC connector, but not severely. But the reason it doesnt hit bad is because of my 1/2" plenum spacer.

Blazer406 said:
I have the big mouth cold air kit with the 3-1/2" MAF pipe.... and the LS1 MAF meter. I too replaced the IAC mount with an angle boss. I don't think it would work without it.... just too close.

Hey, Im planning all of that for my first upgrade to my car. I just bought it with my mods below. I want to do a BM Cold air, LS1 MAF, and 3.5in MAF pipe all at the same time. How big of a difference did it make when you did that all of that?
My car right now has a K&N 9' cone filter rigged onto the stock MAF sensor and everything else in the intake system is stock.

I might try and go with a shorty kit right now, and upgrade to the CAI later when I have more cash.

Lhorn said:
I'm trying to install an LS1 maf and would like to use a 3.5 in pipe. I'm looking at the Big Mouth Shorty kit, but they recommend using an angle boss for the IAC sensor because of clearance issues. Problem is that boss from BOPengineering costs 60 bucks plus shipping. Seems a bit excessive and trying to do this on a reasonable budget, this might make me rethink using this kit. Is it really necessary? Is there a way to do this cheaper? Is there another 3.5 in pipe out there without these issues? I like the looks of the kit and like to support this boards sponsors, but after all is said and done, this is gonna push way over $225 just to put in my MAF. I guess I could just wait for a 3 inch pipe to come up for sale on the used parts board and be done for under 75 dollars including filter.

Thanks

Well I finally got around to trying to install the 3.5" MAF pipe also and......well I wish I would have rather not bought it and spent my money elswhere. The pipe is 3.5" to the LS1 MAF and the angle it gives you from the turbo to the MAF pipe is just in line to hit the Alt. Bracket bolt. So the back of the pipe (nice and chromed out) rubs on the bolt. Not to mention the makeshift rubber insert you have to put over the turbo inlet so you could clamp down the 3.5" rubber coupling does not stay still if you clamp it down. Now Im scared to drive the car since any sudden acceleration or decel could cause the whole pipe to fall off the turbo inlet. Well half way through the install and I quit! Fck it, Ill do it next weekend when I have more patience. Kinda makes you made on how much money you spent and the things dont even fit right.......... oh well, maybe its just my bad luck, but for now, thats my 2 cents....... nothing against the seller, I hear he's a good guy but this MAF pipe has me :mad: ......

Did you get the Big Mouth kit? I just ordered the shorty kit, so I'll let folks know about the clearance. Looking at the website, I can see where it might come pretty close to the alternator mounting bolt. If clearance is a problem, I might try to glue or zip tie a rubber cap to the bolt head so it doesn't damage the chrome. Maybe it can be tweaked a bit out of the way. Lots of people are using it, so I'm confident it'll work out.

my1stgn said:
Well I finally got around to trying to install the 3.5" MAF pipe also and......well I wish I would have rather not bought it and spent my money elswhere. The pipe is 3.5" to the LS1 MAF and the angle it gives you from the turbo to the MAF pipe is just in line to hit the Alt. Bracket bolt. So the back of the pipe (nice and chromed out) rubs on the bolt. Not to mention the makeshift rubber insert you have to put over the turbo inlet so you could clamp down the 3.5" rubber coupling does not stay still if you clamp it down. Now Im scared to drive the car since any sudden acceleration or decel could cause the whole pipe to fall off the turbo inlet. Well half way through the install and I quit! Fck it, Ill do it next weekend when I have more patience. Kinda makes you made on how much money you spent and the things dont even fit right.......... oh well, maybe its just my bad luck, but for now, thats my 2 cents....... nothing against the seller, I hear he's a good guy but this MAF pipe has me :mad: ......

Who did ya buy it from and did you contact them about your fitment issues? Maybe they can help, you maybe your possibly missing something. You might noit have gotten the correct adapter for your turbo, so call and ask cause I bet something aint right!

LS1 Maf, 3.5 Maf pipe, Big Mouth Cold Air kit

I just installed a LS1 Maf with a 3.5" Maf pipe and Big Mouth Cold Air kit. It was not an easy install but it wasn't that bad. I do have an Angle Boss which works well with the 3.5 Maf pipe. I can't imagine taking all that apart to get to the IAC. The pipe does rub the alternator bolt but I put a rubber plug over the stud to avoid scaring the pipe. The entire assembly is tight but so was my old LT1 Maf and 3" Maf pipe. You have to take your time but it will go together. I run a 67 turbo with a 3" inlet. I put the rubber insert on the turbo and rubbed a little oil around the outside then was able to slip the larger coupling on with the Maf pipe. In fact I used a little oil on all the hose connections to allow easier adjustments. I found that leaving all the clamps loose until the entire assembly was in place worked well. Once I had it adjusted I tightened all the connections. I think BuickGN has some pretty cool parts. I plan to add their up pipe soon along with my alcohol system.

Well after a little time out to vent I went back out it and got it installed. Not that it was hard to do or anything but its just fustrating. The clearance is tight (as I said before) and I have the angle boss so the IAC Valve is not an issue. The only issues I had was the Alt bolt coming to close/rubbing on the inlet pipe, the up pipe hitting the Maf pipe rubber coupling and the hose clamp @ the turbo inlet keeps sliding of if its not perfectly center or if its over tightened (which isnt much) But over all I guess if this is the only option you have to go with for a 3.5" MAF pipe, its not toooo bad. :redface:

You guys need to read the directions. Usually you can use the 3.5" connector to the turbo without even using the sleeve. I just include it if you want to use it. The 3.5" connector will squeeze down fine and in fact that is what I have been running on my own GN for years now. As far as the alternator bolt goes, that has always been a problem even with the factory installed dryer duct type hose. I always suggest cutting off the excessive threads on the stud as you can usually pick up almost 1/2" clearance that way. You can also move the pipe around within the connectors as well. Is it possible that you told me the wrong turbo inlet that you have? I use different connectors for integral and removable inlets. Maybe you told me the wrong one when you ordered?

One more thing, I don't suggest putting oil on the rubber connectors, use soapy water as noted in the instructions.

BuickGn Boosted said:
You guys need to read the directions. Usually you can use the 3.5" connector to the turbo without even using the sleeve. I just include it if you want to use it. The 3.5" connector will squeeze down fine and in fact that is what I have been running on my own GN for years now. As far as the alternator bolt goes, that has always been a problem even with the factory installed dryer duct type hose. I always suggest cutting off the excessive threads on the stud as you can usually pick up almost 1/2" clearance that way. You can also move the pipe around within the connectors as well. Is it possible that you told me the wrong turbo inlet that you have? I use different connectors for integral and removable inlets. Maybe you told me the wrong one when you ordered?

One more thing, I don't suggest putting oil on the rubber connectors, use soapy water as noted in the instructions.

I might try using just the 3.5" adapter by itself next weekend, see if it fits better. I did read the directions when I got the product but then didtn end up installing it till a few days later (without re-reading the directions.) The clearance @ the bolt is minimal but it does have enough room not to rub. After the install I drove it around to see if it would move and it works fine, just as advertised. I just didnt think the install would be soooo fustrating..... but then again, what isnt fustrating on these cars :confused: ..... overall Im happy with the results. Thanks guys! Sorry for "venting" on this forum, I was just fustrated! No hard feelings?.......

my1stgn said:

I'm totally with you on this...I did this install over the weekend...it was a complete mofo to do..The 3.5 pipe was easy. The 4 inch CAI was a PITA. I finally got it to fit but i NEVER want to take it off...The 3 inch to 4 inch for the 3.5 maf sensor was the biggest pain...that and fitting a 4 inch rubber elbow thru a what seemed like a 3 inch hole....I'm surprised no one has complained about this stuff before....

Are you guys using left handed screwdrivers when installing my stuff? :biggrin: Really haven't received any complaints about installations except from people who didn't read the directions. The connector for the 4" pipe down to the MAF sensor will go on easy if you use SOAPY WATER. I even had a customer in the past who said it was easy to install and he only had one arm. :) Seriously. BTW been selling this stuff for over 6 years now.

if people are getting "pissed" installing maf pipes, you really should look into another hobby.