Question about 87 We4 cars...

Westside500

Banned
Okay.. I know all were black..I always thought that all the we4 cars also had black bumpers too. I know they had the blackout option(wo2). Did they make them with chrome bumpers? and did they have a hood ornament? or just the limited turbo regals?

FWIW & IMHO:
I think that it is just blackout and no hood ornament, and I have looked at several that do not have aluminum drums nor aluminum bumper supports, although everybody claims to have that whenthey put them up for sale, it seems, or they copy the description from somewhere that claims that was one of the features of the WE4.

A WO2 could have chrome bumpers, but production numbers are quite low. WE4's should have black bumpers, and no hood ornaments. Someone correct me if I'm wrong though....

WO2 has nothing to do with whether the bumpers on a particular TR happen to be black or chrome.

A WE4 is a black car with black bumpers, black trim and no hood ornament.

Chrome bumpers came on both Base Regals and Regal Limiteds.

Black bumpers came on GNs, GNXs and WE4s only.

Clear as mud?

The WE4 had what was known as the Y56 "T" package that included the aluminum bumper supports but aluminum brake drums were only on non-posi cars..............I think!:confused:

www.buickwe4.com

WE4 pretty much automaticly meant you got:
LC2
Y56
W02

black only exterior
grey interior

aluminum wheels

no spoiler

Thats the basics of it

My old car, that was build in Jan (pretty early for a WE4 since it was announced the end of Nov 86) had a hood ornament from the factory. Patrick from PTE also remembers seeing a few very early ones coming with hood ornaments. Most of the 1,547 do not have them.

Originally posted by Sweet6
What did WE4s weigh in general?
Mine weighs 3320,power windows ,locks,rear defog,etc.
I thought that was a little light so I weighed it again a couple weeks ago Norwalk. With me in it 1/2 tank of gas and a cooler full of sodas it weighed 3540.

"WO2 has nothing to do with whether the bumpers on a particular TR happen to be black or chrome."

What I was getting at.... or so the story goes... for a small amount of time (about 90 days from what I've read), you could order a black Turbo T with the W02 option, which gave you all the blackout trim, but with chrome bumpers. That was then done away with once the WE4 came about.
Mine weighed in at 3,440 without me and about a 1/4-1/2 tank of gas, but I also have a little extra stereo equipment.

I think that is correct. For the first couple of months you could get the T package (any color) that would have had chrome bumpers. I have heard that around 200 were made with the chrome bumpers. I order mine in Jan 87, when I said I wanted a black T, the sales manager said they had a special order form for the blacks ones, and brought out the WE4 order form. At the time no one knew what color the bumpers were.

Another interesting fact about the we4s was you couldn't get floor mats. They had to be order seperate (due to the weight restrictions).

David

I made them give me floormats with mine, nice cheesy gray ones that say GM on them. ;)

My big negociating deal for paying sticker. :p

Mines got lots of options and weighs a ton, added a stereo and dynamat, which didn't help.

3955lbs. with me in it. :eek:

3800lbs. alone, half tank gas.

pic

Attachments

• im000024.jpg
    im000024.jpg
    396.2 KB · Views: 84
One other thing, I thought the We4 cars did not have the word Regal on the rear quarter panel and isnt there supposed to be a small piece of moulding under the quarter window? the door and the fender have it....

Yes, I think that car is missing the molding under the 1/4 glass. Yes, you are correct the we4's didn't have regal on the rear quarter. That is a rare car :) .

Maybe I didn't read all of the posts carefully, but is the car in the pics supposed to be a WE4?
Looks like a black Regal. Got a picture of the trunk/option label?
Would love to see it.

Thanks for sharing.
Steve