Pypes STAINLESS Exhaust System..

Just finished installing my system and its a little quieter than i would like but it sounds good. Really easy to install the only problem i had was the bolts they supply for the tips were to short and i had to buy some about an 1/2 in longer but other than that everything went together well. I would record a sound clip but I have no idea how to do it or what you do it with.

Which mufflers did you use? I want quiet!

Just ordered my Pypes exhaust system from summit on saturday night. 306.70 shipped to my door, with race pro mufflers. when I get it I'll polish it, then put it on. I'll post pics and get a video for everyone to hear how it sounds.

How would I mount this I don't have a flange on the back of my Cat anymore... It was hollowed out and pipe welded to the new system.....

Thanks

Since were on Exhaust systems here anyways, do many of you guys get rid of the U Clamps for sealing & go to the newer stainless Band Clamps that come with the new 3" system from GBody or the likes? Where do you guys find them in 2 1/2" size as GBody only has 3" ones. If you can get them let me know please!! Thanks!

Here is a Pic of what I mean but 2 1/2 size is needed.

GBodyParts.com Online

I know Napa has them, and I'm going to use them when I put my system on.......I'm sure other autoparts stores have them too.

Well, I hope I don't make any of you guys that just bought the Hooker system upset, BUT, I've been researching exhaust systems (that will fit my meager budget...) for a couple weeks now, and have done some homework. Kirban's (I think, or Poston's) offers both the Hooker system and the Pypes Performance Exhaust system (advertised as identical to and a 'lower-priced alternative' to the Hooker). Both advertised as 'aluminized' pipe. As it turns out, Pypes has changed their company philosophy, and now manufactures ALL their exhausts in stainless steel exclusively. The Pypes GN system is made from 409 SS and offers LIFETIME WARRANTY (as do all their systems... mufflers have Limited Lifetime Warranty, not sure what that means). Pypes offers 3 different mufflers (also all welded stainless): Street Pro, Race Pro, and Violator. Street Pro is a louvered straight thru with no packing, Race Pro is a perforated straight thru with packing, Violator is Flowmaster-like (mini sound deflection chambers?). My thought is that the Race Pro's (flow much better than street's) are definitely the way to go... and they claim they are their 'quietest' muffler as well.

BEST OF ALL.... drum roll.... Summit sells the GN kit (SGG-50R) for $329.95 (!!!), plus $11.75 S&H (not 'oversized' shipping), and no tax (in my state).

Here's where to check it all out...
Pypes Performance Exhaust - Home Page
search for 'systems', '78-87 G-body', 'Monte Carlo/Cutlass/Regal/Grand National'
and then for the Catback System, you'll find:
SGG-53(S/R/V) which is the Rear Exit Monte Carlo 'SS' style (no,no,no!!) and
SGG-50(S/R/V) which is the Slash-Tip Side Exit ('non-SS') GN style (oh yeah....)
the S/R/V is for street, race or violator muffs, prices are all the same.

Then, go to:
Summit Racing - High Performance Car and Truck Parts | 800-230-3030
and search for 'SGG50S', which will give the pertinent details of the system, the 'SGG50R' is also on the website (for $0.30 more than sgg50s??), but it appears that they haven't typed in the full description of the 'R' kit - must be a webmaster thing...

One last word... I just spoke w/ a sales rep at Summit. He showed me how to find the 'R' kit on their site, as I didn't find it thru normal point and click menu's. After asking if I was ORDERING the system now, and telling him no, but I would be soon, and that I would just order it online.... he RUDELY informed me that the online prices are the same, and Summit sales reps are 'Commision-based, 'just so I know', and then hung up on me.... :confused: But I guess I do understand his frustration, so I'll take it for what it is, and recommend that if you don't care either way, order from their 800 line so those guys can make a buck too....

There you have it.... that's my homework.... now somebody hurry up and order one and inform us all how great it fits, so I can buy mine too!! :biggrin:

What'cha guys think???
does it come with a test pipe

Since were on Exhaust systems here anyways, do many of you guys get rid of the U Clamps for sealing & go to the newer stainless Band Clamps that come with the new 3" system from GBody or the likes? Where do you guys find them in 2 1/2" size as GBody only has 3" ones. If you can get them let me know please!! Thanks!

Here is a Pic of what I mean but 2 1/2 size is needed.

GBodyParts.com Online

You can get those clamps at NAPA. I pesonally use part# 705-1531 from NAPA for the 2.5" exhaust kits. It's a stainless HD hose clamp, like we use on our intercoolers, and as long as the mufflers are notched they work great and look better than any other clamp.

K.

You can get those clamps at NAPA. I pesonally use part# 705-1531 from NAPA for the 2.5" exhaust kits. It's a stainless HD hose clamp, like we use on our intercoolers, and as long as the mufflers are notched they work great and look better than any other clamp.

K.

Thanks! I went to a jobber this morning for heli-coils & asked them & they don't stock the stuff but can get any size & 2 different shapes. One like the 3" you see with the GBody kits & another sorta like the intercooler ones.
I'll try both & see what I like better but glad I found them!
Cheers!!

I have had them on my GN now over a year. I got the violators on and it sounds very nice. Just put them on an s-10 blazer powered by a 350 and it sounds awesome.

I have had them on my GN now over a year. I got the violators on and it sounds very nice. Just put them on an s-10 blazer powered by a 350 and it sounds awesome.

I have to hear what violaters sound like on a gn. Please post a sound clip.
Thanks

Just installed my system with the racepros......mine is not quiet though. I have a video, and will post it soon. The only problem is that my system is up against the front of the rear axle....did anybody else have this problems? I'm going to try and fix it tommor. I'll also post the video tommorow.

Just installed my system with the racepros......mine is not quiet though. I have a video, and will post it soon. The only problem is that my system is up against the front of the rear axle....did anybody else have this problems? I'm going to try and fix it tommor. I'll also post the video tommorow.

Any video yet?

considering ordering the Pypes system for my GN. If I do, I'll probably order the Violator muffs. My main concern with this system is the collector size. It does look small to me. Someone posted the inlet dimensions in a previous post. Tonight I'll check the dimensions on my testpipe outlet and see how they compare with the dimensions posted in this thread.

And FWIW, I talked to someone at Pypes earlier today. I asked about their testpipe for GN's. As with most turbo Buick exhaust systems, the testpipe is NOT included. They do sell one seperately, but it's only 2 1/2" which makes me think the inlet on their exhaust systems is really designed to sit behind a smaller (stock) downpipe and cat.

thoughts/comments?

:cool: