Pwr. Brake fuse keeps blowing!!!!!!!HELP!!!

AlvinB24

I just bought my first turbo buick, and 87 t-type, went to take it out for a ride the other day and could hardly push the brake pedal..........super hard to push. Checked the garage floor and there was some brake fluid on the floor, also checked the pwr brk fuse and it was blown(its a 30amp). So I replace it, and then the brakes worked fine, but i didnt get to drive the car after that.
So i go out today to drive it, and before i leave my driveway, the damn brake light is on again, and the fuse is blown!!! So i replace it AGAIN, , and it works fine for about 1 mile then it does it again, the light comes on and the brake pedal is almost impossible to push, and car dont wanna stop. So i start looking under the hood and notice that there is brake fluid coming from under the master cylinder cap(the cap is on right with the gasket and its tight) PLEASE HELP!!! THIS IS DRIVING ME NUTS!! IVE ALWAYS WANTED ONE OF THESE CARS NOW I GOT 1 AND CANT EVEN DRIVE IT!!!

My old GN did this and I had to replace the power master unit it had gone bad and hand water in it (Or so I was told) Once I spent the 600$ (Back in 99) it worked fine for many many years. (Someone corect me if I am wrong here) but from what the shop I took it too then told me that when these cars set for a while water builds in the motor and then they rust and short out. At that point the short blows the fuse and you can not stop. Mine did it on the freeway at 90 MPH with no warrning !!! So atleaset yours did it in the garage ;)

If pump runs longer than say @ 20 seconds, fuse will blow. switch could be bad. see if your leak is coming from that area. accumulator may have lost pressure meaning diaphram is leaking. pump down brakes w/ ignition off, replace fuse, turn key on and listen for pump to run, no foot on brakes and res.cover on of course. If pump runs and sounds strong then hopefully its the switch or accumulator. You may also want to look at area inside car where brake pedal is for leaks also.

Here is a less obvious tip:

It seems that a 30 AMP fused circuit is a natural for aftermarket equipment installers to hook into. If you have an add on alarm, stereo, or other equipment, it is probably hooked into the brake circuit and it is possible that something other than the brake motor is causing the fuse to blow. This is another possibility to check out. I can verify this from actual experience. Good Luck.

Turbo Brian said:
........hooked into the brake circuit and it is possible that something other than the brake motor is causing the fuse to blow.

That is pretty scary and very dumb :eek: