putting motor together tomorrow, few questions

T

Turbo 6 Justin

okay after spending the last 2 days measuring and prepping my buddy's block we are set to start the final assembly tomorrow. my only questions so far are we are using a 'standard bore' actually about 3.801 with TRW (whatever they are called today) psitons that meaure 3.997 giving a nice .004 or so . we went with sealed power rings and got sent the wrong ones. We wanted file fit but got the 'stock replacements' anyway after finish bore work they still needed some filing to get to the 22 top and 24 2'nd ring gap we wanted. I know they are not quite as strong as the file fit but there shouldn't be any problems right? I have never heard of filing a non 'file fit' ring but everytime I have done it we got the right rings. (time was a big constraint and the reason why we went with them.)

next what the hell goes on the bellhousing (tranny) end of the cam on the block. I remember just a freeze plug but there are two threaded holes next to it. is there a plate? or what I can't find any pictures on the net so please help.

for the rest of the stuff I'll have my GN sitting in the driveway so looking at it shouldn't be a problem.

P.S. this will be making it to the nats driving it from wisconsin!!! wish us luck

Freeze plug for the center hole. I'm not sure the exact size. 1/4" pipe plugs on either side.

The big hole gets a freeze plug. The two threaded holes get allen head plugs.

If the block was worked on by a machine shop, be sure to check to see if the machine shop put those 2 little coolant drain plugs back in each side of the block. The removed mine and never put them back in... I didnt notice, so we assembled my engine... and when we got the thing all done and installed in the car a few weeks later, we got to the "awright!!! just gotta fill er with coolant an fire 'er up!" stage, and the coolant ended up all over the garage floor :mad:

Much harder to install these with the engine in the car and the headers, starter, turbo etc etc all put on...

Good luck with it!

great thanks guys, I was so sure I could picture a freeze plug back there, but was confused by the threaded holes. the machine shop did not do any machining but we did have the block hot tanked and had tthem check the bores and stuff like that. The plugs were in there when we droppend it off apparently they accidentally droppend them in the garbage.. In milwaukee there are no machine shops I can trust I have been to all the 'good' ones and have been unsatisfied with all for some reason or another.

Now anyone ever file stock size moly rings? vs the file to fit moly rings (we ordered through poston they say the file to fit are a different material and can stand 8L rpm vs the mere 7K if this motor ever sees 7K it has bigger problems than just the rings)

Thanks again!

Never heard of a file to fit ring being a different material than a non file to fit. They are just .005" oversize so you set the end gaps to whatever you want. Also you might want to make sure they put the 2 small oil galley plugs back in the front of the block. Two small plugs like freeze plugs by the cam hole.