Put parallel flow condenser in car.

disco stu

Easy install. I put a 16x27" condenser in the car with some simple brackets, along with a new compressor, dryer and red orifice tube. I was expecting freeze my face off performance comparable to modern AC systems with this type of condenser. Mildly disappointed, but it is ridiculously hot down here right now. On high, one it cools down it's been 45 degrees. Short trips, low 50's, lower blower speeds yeild 38-40 degrees so that's cold. Pretty good for 100+ degree days I suppose. It does remain cool at low speeds and stopped though. Hard to compare, never had a 134A sytem properly operating in a Buick. Had Freeze 12 in it, and it worked well with the factory condenser for a few days before the compressor seals ended up clogging the orifice.

SDC11515.jpg

SDC11514.jpg

SDC11513.jpg

i thought about doing this before..... where did you buy the condenser from... is it a standard part from another car? my wife is gonna kill me if i dont fix my a/c :redface::eek:

Looks like the condenser I just installed, it's a generic replacement item -hope it will holdup 'made in china'. I was able to install the condenser without removing the radiator, so I am unable to get good pics.
I also have installed a more efficient evaporator - need to modify the box.

I'm still chasing leaks & now have my lines (fron compressor to condenser) being modified to bypass the leak.

The factory condensor is a great unit. When using 134a the red ford orafice tube is the best choice. My system is all factory gm except the orafice tube and it blows @ 40-42 degrees idling in hot weather (95 degrees) when crusing down the highway the temps get down in the 36-38 degrees.

when doing the 134A charge you don't need as much refrigerent as r12. i think i ended up using like 2.5lbs unlike the r12 using 3.2lbs

HTH

Pat Broughton

What's the part number John. Looks like a good deal to keep those of us in the southern parts cool.

the red orafice tube application is for a mid 90's for truck with a 5.0 or 5.8

The tube is red and has to sealing o-rings on it. as mentioned up above.

Stu: did you vacuum the system to get the moisture out? I know moisture really messes with a refer system and I think 134a is more susceptible to moisture absorption.