pushrod related Camshaft question

Badd Azz TTA

Finally got the Picture
A friend and I just put his motor together and it was the first time either of us ever degreed a camshaft(Weber 206\206and his chain also)

Everything didn't come up right so we advanced it 2 degrees and everything looked fine.tried it twice and was right.

After the motor was put in it had a loud valvetrain noise,asked around and it ended up that the non turbo 109 block has a higher deck,so it needed longer pushrods,put them in and it quieted it down right now.

My question is,Since we installed a longer pushrod
8.25 from the first ones which were
8.212,Do we need to degree the cam again?

Asked a few people and they said no,But I don't want anything to happen to this motor.

Thanks, :D

No you do not! When you degree in a cam, you are checking and correcting the cam and timing chain manufacturers production tollerance. You are setting the cam position in relation to the crankshaft. Longer pushrods will not affect this relationship.

Originally posted by Badd Azz TTA
After the motor was put in it had a loud valvetrain noise,asked around and it ended up that the non turbo 109 block has a higher deck. :D

:eek: :eek: :eek: Did not know that!:eek: :eek: :eek:

Never heard/read that before anywhere.

Glad everything is going to turn out O.K. :)

Never heard that about the 109 blocks. All the 86-87 engines I have owned had the graphite style gaskets....that is including the carbureted engines. The 85 and older engines are the ones with the taller deck.