Purpose of non-locking converter?

99Formula

Can someone explain to me the purpose of a non-locking converter? As I understand it, they tend to lose a couple tenths and MPH in the 1/4, don't get as good of mileage and waver up and down in RPM in overdrive, etc. I have one on my car (car came with it), and I'm just trying to understand the reasoning behind using one at all.

Peter

non lock converters are most effective on very fast cars that make a lot of power........for example, a 5,000 rpm stall non locker works just dandy on a 130 mph mid 10 sec GN locally

non lockers weigh less, but are less efficient...however, to obtain very high stall speeds required for fast cars, lockers won't work well

lock up converters are really designed for street cars, although there are some out there that work well on race cars

(BTW, locking converters are a relatively new thing......TH-400 transmission cars have non lock converters, for example)

Originally posted by azgn
(BTW, locking converters are a relatively new thing......TH-400 transmission cars have non lock converters, for example)

Yea they are really a new thing, thats why the TH350C had them in 1980 which was 23 years ago:D :D

J/K

They are a relatively new thing when it comes to dragracing and locking them while racing though.

well, to some of us, 1980 is waaay new!:D (I have socks older than that....)

Woody,
Thanks for the info. So would you say that there's no real good reason to have a non-locking converter on a car like mine? (A car that has the parts to go 11's but the driver and tuning to go 12's.. :))

Peter

Originally posted by 99Formula
Woody,
Thanks for the info. So would you say that there's no real good reason to have a non-locking converter on a car like mine? (A car that has the parts to go 11's but the driver and tuning to go 12's.. :))

Peter

You should have a 12" locking converter, for sure. just like the stock one.;)

what he said.....a non locker isn't doing you any good

something like a stock re-stalled D-5 would be your best bet (get the 3000 stall....)