Pulling motor soon, can tranny stay in car?

counterman

Guys, I am going to pull my engine soon, again. I am going to convert to a roller cam and check my bearings for damage post flat tappet cam failure. I am trying to avoid pulling the trans and draining the fluid, etc. if I can. Last time, I pulled the pair together and sent the trans to Mike Kurtz for a rebuild. What tricks are possible to save me from pulling the trans and lines when I yank this thing out this time? Thanks, Counterman.

I leave a floor jack under mine. Or you could take some cord and tie it up around the hood stop on the cowl.

If I remember correctly, you have to remove the crossover pipe, the trans lines go through it. Remove the bellhousing bolts but don't separate the block and trans yet. When you lift the motor out, the front end of the car is going to go up (less weight on the springs). Once you get the engine high enough, put a piece of wood on top of the floor jack and prop up the trans. Now you can separate the two.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

A little trick i learned from doing this numerous times was to unbolt the trans crossmember and just slide the trans and everything back an inch and a half or two. Its still supported by the crossmember but pulls the trans back far enough that the flywheel clears the trans making it easier to pull the motor out. Plus use a jack and a block of wood to support the front. It makes removing and reinstalling so much easier.

I might be crazy but I just usually pull the whole thing...tranny and all. Seems easier to me although I've never pulled the engine out of a Grand National. I hate trying to mate the converter and flexplate when putting it back together if it's in the car....I'd rather do it outside the car.

Yeah I know...but it's a pet peeve...what can I say.

Support the torque converter so it isn't hanging on the stator without support where the converter pilot would be in the back of the crank. May press the seal into a wierd position and start a leak right about the time you get it all put back together. :)