pulling motor how to support the transmission

turbojitsu85

Last time I pulled my motor I had a bigger garage and was able to not move the car so I supported the trans with a jack stand. does anyone have any suggestions on how to support it while I move the car back and forth?

I use my floor jack pointed ft to rear, under the tailshaft. That allows me to lower the trans as I lift on the engine. As the engine moves out, the trans rides on the jack...:smug:

IMG_20141206_175937.jpg

I had mine supported similar to Vader, and Wednesday while moving the car, the strap broke and bent the shift rod that goes to the column (I hope that's all it did)

while you have the jack under the trans take your jackstand and set it on the A frame on about a 45* angle and adjust it so it catches the top of the trans .. done ....pull the jack out roll the car whatever just dont use park to keep the car from rolling on an incline , the trans will spin

another is take a ratchet strap and slide two bolts into the bottom holes and support that way

Last edited:
I did it similar but used a piece of wood notched. Wedged it right in and the trans never budged. Made it easy to clean the compartment too.

angle iron that spans from frame rail to frame rail. i then drilled two holes in the angle iron and bolted it to two holes in the bell housing. you can tow the car across the country like this.

I made a bar from 1" square tubing . Drilled & tapped 3/8" holes in frame to hold in place . It was in there for a while and up & down the lift .
DSCN0152.JPG

Each to their own, I just pull the Trans out and I'm done with it. I dare anyone to say that any other way saves time.

I just use my wife's bra, I figure if it can support her it can support a light 2004R.

a board across the frame rails, with some 4" or so long 3/8" bolts thru the bellhousing bolts with nuts on the back resting on top of the board has always worked for me.. or if you don't have any bolts handy, screwdrivers also work...

image.jpg

Here is how I did it. Ratcheting tie down attached to the stud for the rear hood cushion. Didn't rest it on frame rails since I was going to paint them