Pulling engine with transmission attached. Need advice/tips.

ross87t

Hey, guys. This is going to be my first full engine pull. I have everything disconnected/unhooked from the transmission and the driveshaft is out. I'm at a point where all I have left is to disconnect the oil cooler lines and the grounds that bolt to the head.

Questions:
Should I remove the starter all together or just disconnect the wires?
Where should I strap on to the engine for the removal? I'd rather use a strap and not a chain.
Can I get it out with an engine hoist positioned in front of the car, or will I need to attack it from the side?
I assume the hood needs to come off, correct?

ANY more tips you can think of would be greatly appreciated. Oil and coolant are both drained. Should I drain the transmission fluid?

From what I read before, I think there is a writeup here or on turbobuicks.com, you dont have to remove the hood. It can be done with the hood on. From the front is best. Not sure about the straps or chain part.

Sent from my iPhone using Turbo Buick

How would you remove an engine and tranny WITHOUT taking the hood off????

U can get a cool little strap from H&R parts if u want to look 25$ I think

To do engine and trans you will need a 2 ton lift and a little extra chain. The front bumper has to come off or you wont have the reach. I used the exhaust manifold bolts with washers. You will also need a friend for help as a good buddy here in pic gave me a hand for the install.
000_0014 engine install.jpg

get a spare driveshaft yoke to jam in the back of the trans so you don't dump 4 quarts of atf on the floor when you lift the engine out..

i would remove the starter and fan, i've done it both ways with the bumper on and off. Take it off if you don't have the reach.
small rolling jack under the trans and yoke in its pooper;)
asto-t pic pretty much is it.

I used a chain. With bumper, you will need extra chain. I removed my hood, it was just one less thing I had to deal with. I removed the starter, it wasnt too hard?

For attachment points, I hooked up to the 1st bolt of the header on driver side and the other end went to bolt On the passenger side to the rear of the engine. From there you can lift up the chain as needed. Depending on where you lift up on the chain will allow you to tilt the front of the engine more when you remove it.