Puck problem need help not covering the hole.

blackgn231

Money pit
I just got my turbo back from Bison looks great he did a good job. But was having problems with my boost going way high sometimes so was checking my puck to see if it was covering the hole. Don't have any bluing here so just taped over the exhaust hole and shined a light inside of the elbow and can see light coming in from around the puck. So , I know this could be the cause of the boost creep ,I was getting and will need a bigger puck is there anywhere you can buy them and who could ,I get to install it? I will check it better Monday to see just how close it is to the hole but do not want to install it this way so thought maybe someone else has run into this problem before so anYone?

I just got my turbo back from Bison looks great he did a good job. But was having problems with my boost going way high sometimes so was checking my puck to see if it was covering the hole. Don't have any bluing here so just taped over the exhaust hole and shined a light inside of the elbow and can see light coming in from around the puck. So , I know this could be the cause of the boost creep ,I was getting and will need a bigger puck is there anywhere you can buy them and who could ,I get to install it? I will check it better Monday to see just how close it is to the hole but do not want to install it this way so thought maybe someone else has run into this problem before so anYone?
If the hole isn't covered it will cause slower spooling and less total boost. If you go larger on the puck and cover the hole boost will hit harder and be higher. You will need to either increase the size of the hole or increase the mass flow through the engine to see less boost pressure on the gauge. RJC has large pucks. Grind off the old puck and have the new one welded in.

Puck question Bison? If I buy a new puck and get it cut down to were it just covers the hole will that work,I work at the navy base here and my friend is a machinist so he could cut it down to just cover the hole what do you think?

There's no point in cutting the puck. Just clearance the flange with a grinder so it will clear. Having it over hang the hole doesn't hurt anything. The puck isn't your over boost problem. The size of the hole is. I'd out on the larger puck and open the hole to 1" and re-test. If it still overshoots go to 1.1". No need to remove the turbo to grind out the hole.

Not what you mean clearance the flange?It use to boost fine like it should but as you get into it boost will shoot up high and then come back down.Sorry not good with turbo things still working to get my car running good have a lot of mods but turbo stuff is a weak point with me .

In your first post you said boost creep. What you have isn't boost creep if it goes up and then comes down. You may have more than one problem. The bypass hole is supposed to be covered 100% unless the actuator uncovers it. So you need a larger puck. The hole size and actuator tension, and pressure getting to the actuator will determine where it opens and boost levels. Your actuator could be too stiff for
Intended boost also

OK that's what,I thought will have to get a bigger puck then thanks,. Should the stock puck be loss? Mine will move a little either way .

It should be loose so it won't bind. The factory built in a lot of clearance for a reason. So aftermarket pipes have too tight a clearance on the swing valve and they seize shut