PT54 am I running out of air?!?!?!

Originally posted by lazaris
Did you ever find out if you could increase the boost?

oh an do you have your 1/8th mph on your

128.8mph run? I would be interested in seeing what it would have been

I ran 126.58mph in the 1/4 but my 1/8th was only 100mph

I would have loved to see what the 102.2 would have been.

Most of my 1/8 mi times on my old combination were 103.5-103.8 mph. Let me know how you make out.

It is official!

The only way to know for sure is to completely close the gate. You might be surprised at what you'll find.

I wired it shut and boost did not increase any.

20-21 psi with 24 degrees of timing

so the turbo is maxed out at about 20 psi.

I did run a 6.77@102mph with that tune tonight.

and I did it on DRAG RADIALS

I think that equates to a 10.4 -10.50 in the 1/4.

Well Im gald you know for sure now. What exh housing is on that turbo? Whats the rest of your combination?

Well Im gald you know for sure now. What exh housing is on that turbo? Whats the rest of your combination?

I have a precision .85 exhaust.

the rest is

TH400 / 3500 art carr
GN1s unported.
212/212 hydraulic flat tappet
shifting at 5400 rpms
stock throttle body and headers.
RJC Powerplate
CAS V2 FMIC
F.A.S.T.
single walbro 340
83# injectors.
3" THDP

Tuned by yours truly

oh and column shift with leather seats :)

Are you absolutely sure that you dont have a pre turbo exhaust leak? Have you also closely checked out all of the intercooler hoses ? I always thought a loose intercooler hose would make a heck of a racket. But this is not so. If this has been going on for a while you may not notice it as you have been familiar with how it sounds.

Originally posted by Louie L.
Are you absolutely sure that you dont have a pre turbo exhaust leak? Have you also closely checked out all of the intercooler hoses ? I always thought a loose intercooler hose would make a heck of a racket. But this is not so. If this has been going on for a while you may not notice it as you have been familiar with how it sounds.

I am probably not 100% sure Louie, but as best as I can tell everything is fine.

I did 102.3mph in this pig (3700#)and I just think that is all the PT54 has.

This is a relatively TINY turbo for the MPH I am pushing.

I did 126.58 mph with only 100mph inthe 1/8th on a previous run.

I am doing over 102.3 now and I expect the 1/4mph to be near around 129-130 mph

I just do not think the PT54 can go any faster with this heavy of a car.

I am thinking about the 71GTQ now. or the TSM 70

any opinions.

My TE-61, which is the same turbo as you, easily hit 30psi, almost 120mph....Bone stock motor.

Originally posted by turbo2nr
Either your boost guage is off, or you have other problems.

Well if it is my boost gauge it is also my 3 bar map sensor and my fuel pressure gauge.

They are all indicating 20 psi and they ALL have 3 seperate refference points.

not to mention I can run 18 psi on straight 93 pump gas

if my gauge was reading low I do not think I could do that.

why is is so hard to believe that I am just out of turbo?

How fast is fast enough with a PT54?

nines? LOL

Well, only 20-21psi is very hard to believe! Maybe on a BBC, but not on a 231".Again, I can easily see 30psi, and that is not the end of mine. Both turbos have a 61mm compressor wheel, and a 69trim turbine wheel. I am 99%sure about that. You must have a leak somewhere. Intake manifold, intercooler, etc.
Thats my opinion, get some more.

With your combo, I would expect some high 10s.

My TE-61, which is the same turbo as you, easily hit 30psi, almost 120mph....Bone stock motor.

you said bone stock motor...

thats the difference!!!

Boost is a measure of restriction... and on stock heads your 30 psi is probably close to 18 psi on my heads.

a stock GN turbo will make 100+ psi on a lawn motor..... and maybe 5 psi on a big block.

get it?

you do not measure a turbo by the boost it can make, that is irrelevant.

You measure it by the CFM or Lbs/min or the horsepower it can produce.

boost just gives us a comparison point and assumes that all else on the engine is equal.

notice you made 30 psi and only ran low 11s with a good 60ft... I am making alot more power, and with 10 psi less.

you have more restriction.

the question you should ask yourself is..."how much power can be made with this turbo?"

then you will see that I am clearly "out of turbo".

Save your breath bro, I read your stuff already. I had a GN with Champion heads, blah, blah, blah. Even with a tiny 44 or a 49 turbo, 28psi is no problem. You have a problem with your car, or turbo control system. Have fun!

Well, only 20-21psi is very hard to believe! Maybe on a BBC, but not on a 231".Again, I can easily see 30psi, and that is not the end of mine. Both turbos have a 61mm compressor wheel, and a 69trim turbine wheel. I am 99%sure about that. You must have a leak somewhere. Intake manifold, intercooler, etc.
Thats my opinion, get some more.

With your combo, I would expect some high 10s.

expect all you want.

I already ran a 10.8 with a ****ty 7.0 @100 mph in the 1/8th that was with a 1.70 60 ft!

I ran a 6.77@ 102+mph last night. that would be EASY mid 10s.

the question you should ask yourself is..."how much power can be made with this turbo?"

then you will see that I am clearly "out of turbo". [/B][/QUOTE]

OK, fine. This thread is done then.

Save your breath bro, I read your stuff already. I had a GN with Champion heads, blah, blah, blah. Even with a tiny 44 or a 49 turbo, 28psi is no problem. You have a problem with your car, or turbo control system. Have fun!

put down the glass of hateraid for a second and answer this simple question

How fast do you think is possible on a PT54/TE61?

once you answer that.. look at my times and decide if I am or am not maxing out the turbo.

forget about boost... I do not care what boost I run, just how fast it goes.

I know what my boost is without a doubt. I have THREE independant refference points.

then you will see that I am clearly "out of turbo".

OK, fine. This thread is done then. [/B][/QUOTE]

oops, sorry I posted before I read your last post.