PS2 racing games

j-lantern

Hey, can anybody recommend a good racer for the PS2? Don't care about the latest and greatest, but would like to find a game where you can build up your cars, track your progress (through cooler cars, money earned, etc...) and be casual enough that you don't have to play it for like an hour to finish one race. I more advanced version of the old Road Rash games. With cars. That aren't all rice. Thanks for any suggestions-I played my buddy's X-box last week, and got a little hooked.

ANY Gran Turismo (1-3) there is no game as complete as this one.
GT concept is O.K. too (Its made by Polyphony the same creators as Gran Turismo)
But after you play Gran Turismo, youll see there really isnt any other game on its level.;)

As mentioned above, the Gran Turismo series is the best. However, I prefer GT2 over GT3. The third edition had better graphics, but the controls were horrible.
Another great racer to tide you over until GT4 is Need For Speed: Underground. All of the NFS series is pretty fun, but underground lets you mod cars, buy/sell/unlock new cars, drag/street/circuit/drift race, earn magazine covers and street credit. The graphics are unreal, and the controls are pretty good too. It has a minor story line that adds a little flavor. The only downfall is that it's all ricers, but it's a damn good game!

...and if you're just looking to kill some time, Testdrive is now only $19.99, kinda a simple old game but worth 20 bucks.

Originally posted by ViciousV6
As mentioned above, the Gran Turismo series is the best. However, I prefer GT2 over GT3. The third edition had better graphics, but the controls were horrible.
Another great racer to tide you over until GT4 is Need For Speed: Underground. All of the NFS series is pretty fun, but underground lets you mod cars, buy/sell/unlock new cars, drag/street/circuit/drift race, earn magazine covers and street credit. The graphics are unreal, and the controls are pretty good too. It has a minor story line that adds a little flavor. The only downfall is that it's all ricers, but it's a damn good game!

What he said except GT3 kills GT2 IMO.

Underground is :cool: :cool:

Thanks for the responses guys. My only concern is that I'd heard that GT3 was a little bit in depth, in that some races can take forever to run, and I'm more of an immediate gratification kind of racer. But everybody's saying great things, and it's cheap as hell now. Any other games to look at?

Need for Speed Underground you can go thru quickly.Whats the challenge in that???I just play it every once or twice a week and have already won 62 of 111 races,had it MAYBE 2 months. On GT3 im 56.3% done and ive had it since it came out. Takes longer the more of the game you beat.Play it once a month now,its still the coolest race car game ever though.

I'd go with GT3.

Want a challenge? If you get it, play it for a while then try the "Time Trial" on the "Test Track"

In these races, if you go off the track, you lose.

And go for the licenses....ha! Try going for the gold level...

Originally posted by j-lantern
My only concern is that I'd heard that GT3 was a little bit in depth, in that some races can take forever to run, and I'm more of an immediate gratification kind of racer.

Who considers 4HRS as long :rolleyes:
I think some are a little longer than that.

They have some races like that on GT1 and 2.Probably 3 as well.

Any of the three,damn good.

Be aware that you have to pass a drivers test before you can race :)

"Some" find that challenging on it's own.

Originally posted by wlaukaitis
I'd go with GT3.

Want a challenge? If you get it, play it for a while then try the "Time Trial" on the "Test Track"

In these races, if you go off the track, you lose.

And go for the licenses....ha! Try going for the gold level...

Still have to get ALL my super DLs.Its HARD :(

4 HOURS! For one race! I don't know that I have that kind of concentration or time. I just picked up GTAIII again for the first time last week, and I hadn't played it in a year (actually, probably hadn't played the PS2 in about a year) and am maybe 25% done. And I consider that game about the sickest one ever.

Are there many of these 4hr jobbies or are there a good amount of 2-4 lap, 5-10 minute races. Though I assume head to head you can always pick something pretty short.

I like need for speed hot pursuit 2.
Another really fun game is Burnout 2 point of impact. (it's cheap too)

Another underrated but entertaining and challenging game is Rumble Racing. You also should be able to find that cheap.

Originally posted by j-lantern
Are there many of these 4hr jobbies or are there a good amount of 2-4 lap, 5-10 minute races. Though I assume head to head you can always pick something pretty short.

Oh yea there are a lot of the 2,3, lap jobbers on all of the GT games.
When you get to the higher levels the races take a bit more time.
The 4hr races are for people who desire to do all of the races or are REALLY BORED.

I only do those races when I am sick and in bed for the day.Gotta have something to do.Watching soaps,Opera,and Springer all day ain't gunna cut it.