Proud New Owner questions

87GNat

Dont Let Em Grind Ya Down
I just got my first 87 and love it. I just finished a frame off on a 69 olds 442 conv and this is my next project. The car is mint mint mint:biggrin: . It is totally stock hard top with 42000 on it. Never had chip or anything. I intend to do some slight mods like chip, K&N, and some other minor things to get the performance nice but not crazy. Do i need to rebuild the motor from scratch before i do any of these simple mods? Ive never run a turbo and am not sure how much abuse a 20 year old build will take. Also if anyone knows what chip will add some decent performance but nothing overboard, please let me know. Im not looking for 11 secs or anything. Also what other mods are reccomended for a nice street car that eats up fords!!! Oh by the way, I live in north Tampa fl area. Anyone around here?:D

My first post was similar to your's when I bought my all original 17K mile '87 last year. Keep is simple with a few light mods.......right, that lasted about a month. :tongue:

Unless there are some known issues the engine should be fine. A Turbo Tweak chip, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, injectors, fuel pump, hotwire kit and a Scanmaster (or one of the computer based diagnostic systems) are "must haves" for a reliable, fun ride. Performance mod possibilities are just about endless.....check my signature for a somewhat "mild" combo. It's a standard solid "bolt-on" recipe (plenty of turbo options in this power range as well).

Welcome Pilgrim!

Congradulations on the great find! Knowledge is the key to a safe, long and fun experience w/ these cars. So read up on as much as you can and ask questions. the guys on these forums are quite knowledgeable and willing to help. The gnttype forum holds a wealth of info on these cars so search thru the tech area, also thru these forums.

As far as the mod's go, incubus offered good advice, but being from fla. I would add the alchy kit. It's probably the best bang for the buck in that hot weather down there. and you can have Eric burn the chip to include the alchy. You won't regret it.....(Well...maybe!?:confused: ....the guys don't like to talk about it.....but ..... it can become an addiction!!:eek: ):D

Upgrading the fuel system is a must, the rest are just too fun not to. :D

But seriously, get the Walbro fuel pump, and Adjustible Fuel Regulator, and a "Hot Wire" fuel wiring kit. The stock system was marginal at best even when new. That way you have a good foundation for whatever way you decide to go.

If it were me I would:

-Do the fuel mods
-Get 60# injectors
-3 inch down pipe
-Hooker 2.5 inch exhaust
-Razors Alcohol injections kit
-204/214 cam
-Stretched stock location intercooler
-TA-49 turbo
-TurboTweak Chip

headscratch.gif
Wait a second, there is something eerily familiar about my list?
scratchchin.gif

........but being from fla. I would add the alchy kit. It's probably the best bang for the buck in that hot weather down there. and you can have Eric burn the chip to include the alchy. You won't regret it.....(Well...maybe!?:confused: ....the guys don't like to talk about it.....but ..... it can become an addiction!!:eek: ):D

You need to contact Razor about the alky kit.... he is in the Tampa area... and his TurboTransAm is simply amazing. He will also help you with your decisions on what mods to do when. Look him up. Julio is his real name. Alkycontrol.com

Thanks all,

Guess i need to sit and wait till i do enough research and really figure out what i want to do:eek: :biggrin:

I just got my first 87 and love it. I just finished a frame off on a 69 olds 442 conv and this is my next project. The car is mint mint mint:biggrin: . It is totally stock hard top with 42000 on it. Never had chip or anything. I intend to do some slight mods like chip, K&N, and some other minor things to get the performance nice but not crazy. Do i need to rebuild the motor from scratch before i do any of these simple mods? Ive never run a turbo and am not sure how much abuse a 20 year old build will take. Also if anyone knows what chip will add some decent performance but nothing overboard, please let me know. Im not looking for 11 secs or anything. Also what other mods are reccomended for a nice street car that eats up fords!!! Oh by the way, I live in north Tampa fl area. Anyone around here?:D

North Tampa as in Wesley Chapel, Dade City I assume? I live in Dade City.

Hi -

to get the performance nice but not crazy.

I am a basics guy with a stock car and mild mods - so here are my ideas:

Do the spring cleaning. Even if you eventually find out your car is clean, this will be a great intro for you to get intimate with it. There is a nice gasket kit for the IAC valve, throttle body, and vacuum block at Auto Zone - Part 96-3003 for about $2.99.

Re the K&N, check out the "big mouth" set up at TR Custom Parts 84-87 Turbo Regals, 94-6 Impala SS, 93-up F Body Cars, Olds G-Body Cars - he is a vendor here and this kit can help your car breathe easier and cooler on those hot, muggy days. Your turbo will thank you!

The turbotweak chip is a good idea...TurboTweak Home. He is a vendor here.

Do add the Walbro fuel pump and hot wire kit from racetronix - index - another vendor here.

Get a fuel pressure gauge so you can measure changes you might make with the adjustable FP regulator.

I suggest Metco or K&N valve cover breathers...I believe that Brian at GBodyParts.com Online might have them.

A Scanmaster or other computer diagnostic tool is ESSENTIAL!

Make sure your plugs and plug wires are in good condition. If necessary, clean the coil pack terminals of any corrosion.

Check out the coil pack output for a strong, blue spark. If any terminals are weak, replace the pack. If you do this, BE SURE the male terminals are bent TOWARD the coil pack, not toward the potting material in the Ignition Control Module that sits below the coil.

Check that the vacuum block is not leaking air around its base gasket. Caution: If it is plastic, be careful you do not over-torque its hold-down screws if there is a leak.

Check the vac lines on the distribution block sitting on top of the plenum. They are different sizes.

Check the EGR valve for function and be sure the filter on its solenoid (rear top of driver side valve cover) is clean.

Use a ZDDP additive (oil package with zinc) with about 1/2 of your oil as Rotella T, Delo 400 LE, or Mobil Delvac (they still have ZDDP in them). A couple well-known cam manufacturers recommended having some dinosaur oil (not 100% synthetic) as a "base" for the cam.

I would do the following if you do not have related service records:

Replace all the vacuum lines...most are 7/32".

Replace the PCV valve and its vac line (3/8").

Since you asked, these engines are strong. Some guys are racing them with 200K miles on the clock! The shaft-mounted rocker arms are a clue.

Finally, if you do the work yourself, learn all you can BEFORE you start working on the more complex stuff like tuning (adjusting the TPS and minimm air screw). If someone else does the work, make sure you are satisfied s/he is familiar with these cars.

Congratulations and Good Luck!

Steve

PS Believe me, your car can stomp a lot more than only Fords.