Pro's and Con's to having a turbo 350 rather then a built 200r4 in a TB

Dreamn4GN

Im always on the browse for cars.. Hoping that one of the many I like will be available when Im ready to purchase.
One car has a turbo 350 in it,with the turbo v-6. Im just curious what are the benefits or dis advantages of having a turbo 350 over a built 200r4. I personally dont see the point, but that doesnt hold much water... opinions appreciated
TIA

pros is lighter then a 200 and a 400...is cheaper to build ....if properly built can easily handle 750+hp will bolt right into where a 200 was,same driveshaft,crossmember...takes about 20-30hp less to drive then a 400 ,has a better 1st gear then a 400

cons no overdrive, no electronic gear indicator

please anyone, correct me if im wrong.....actual think ill be building one of these over a th400 when the time is right...

It is also cheaper to refresh if necessary. On a track run my car never came out of 2nd, all you heard was a pow. The guts inside of my torque converter exploded. A guy at the track had a 3500 stall torque converter for sale for $75. I didnt care about brand or antiballooniing plates, fluids etc,,, I just wanted to get back on the track. 6 years later it is still in my inventory as a back up convertor. Same 350 only rebuilt once sine the day I got it over 10 years ago. I would love to go back to a 200 in my car but, I am happy with my 350 and 3.42 gears.

well if ya just drive around town it's prob great. BUT IF ya DRIVE the car as a "DRIVER" no way would I go with a 350 or a 400.. I like the overdrive and lock up of the ol junky 200 :p . Goin down the highway at 70/80 mph ya can't beat it !!

The tranny in the car that ran 9.20's in BG has a 350 in it. It sees alot of street driving but no interstate. If it's a cruiser I'll take the 350 over any of the other options everyday of the week. I can build a 9 second 350 3 times for what it takes to build a 200r. If your going 3 hrs down the interstate you'll want the 200r.

There was just a car I saw, and It had a 350 trans in it and I just asked myself why?.But it makes sense, When I get a car, it will see highway miles for sure so the overdrive will be a must!!

my 200 never comes out of drive. It's a weekend cruiser around town. The 200 is on it's way out and I have a left over 350 from my chevy II with trans brake and JW ultra bell that will be replacing the 200. even if I need to jump on the interstate, 3.42's are not bad.

I just think to 200 is too expensive for the only real advantage being over drive...

turbo 400on a 28 tire,3.42 rear,1.1 trans ratio 2900 rpm is 60mph,not a good option for the guys that don't want to be limited in how long or far they want to drive.no doubt the 400/350 is the durability king especially in a track car.the 200 is great for the street guy who visits the track a couple times a year.

how is a th350 or 400 limiting in how long or far u can drive?????the motor will be buzziing alil higher,but its not really limiting....i mean wut ddid they do before overdrive transmissions? its just alot more convenient to have over drive and a l/u converter.....i plan on having both so when i know im gonna be racing slap in the 350 or 400 then if i just plan on cruising having the 200 in....its not that hard to swap in and out...

The tranny in the car that ran 9.20's in BG has a 350 in it. It sees alot of street driving but no interstate. If it's a cruiser I'll take the 350 over any of the other options everyday of the week. I can build a 9 second 350 3 times for what it takes to build a 200r. If your going 3 hrs down the interstate you'll want the 200r.
dusty what do you get for a nice th350 that will run low 9's reliably?..joel

You might want to think about and over / under drive. You would only by it once, you could use the 350 but still have the overdrive and lockup converter. These things hold 1500 hp Problem Solved.

you mean back in the day when everyone cruised 55mph and gas was 90 cents a gallon.running 75 mph at $4.00 a gallon for gas is a whole different ball game.

you mean back in the day when everyone cruised 55mph and gas was 90 cents a gallon.running 75 mph at $4.00 a gallon for gas is a whole different ball game.[/QUOTE. LOL....very true...but that's more of a financial restriction .... I have heard from a lot of people running 400s that's its really not as bad as one would think,esp with the reduced slippage efficientcy of todays converters....don't get me wrong here, I'm all for running a 200 but it takes a lot of $ to get one to live behind serious power.that's why I'm gonna build 2 trannies each with its own purpose....

I have driven around with the trans in 3rd gear to see how I would like it without OD.. Ruined the car to me. Hell back before most of you guys were born we had all sorts of 60s "fun cars" . Fun till ya drove em 40 miles to the beach .. 411/457 gears were a blast around town.. BUT not highway friendly. Gas mileage ??? Whats that :p Our 9 sec street car flys down the highway in OD an gets at least 20 mph goin 70/80 mph (NOT speeding !!! just keeping up with traffic :p). oh well to each there own. :cool:

i like the 200 ive also seen a stock "no billet parts" 200 hang out in the high 9's and low 10's for over 3 years tons of runs oh and it comes off the line with a brake :eek: