proper way to syphon old gas out of gn gas tank

kandc7

anybody know how to syphon gas out of 87 gn tank? I think you use a hose and stick it in were the gas goes in,but how do you get the gas out? I hope somebody can help me. thanks, kc.

running the fuel pump is easy, add power to the brown plug on the drivers side, i don't remember exactly where its at, its been too long. but its simple. if for whatever reason that isn't possible you can use a ball type siphon, they work pretty well. you shake the hose, and the ball opens and closes until your able to get a siphon going. there are also drill driven pumps that work pretty good, or you can go to a hobby store and get a model airplane fuel pump, it will be time consuming if you get a hand pump, or use an electric pump.

the best bet is get a friend drunk and bet him $5 he can't siphon the gas out of your tank...

In the case where you pump may be fried and not working...you shove the hose down in the tank...a clear hose preferably.
Then get the end that is outside the tank and run it to the ground...it must be lower than the end in the tank...
Then suck on it till the gas comes right up to the end then pull it out and stick it in the can... Don't get any gas in your mouth..a little wont kill you but it will taste like hell... They also make pumps to do this to start the syphon...but this is how my dad taught me.
You could always practice with a jug of water...the gravity pulls the liquid out the end and thens there's nothing but whatever the hose is submerged in to get sucked up to replace the area where the liquid came out...thats why there needs to be more "downward" travel on the hose end than there is "upward" travel on the intake side of the hose.

Hope that makes sense...

A little trick:

Poke a small hole in the hose about 6" from the tip with a phillips screw driver. Take your air gun and blow air in the hole, towards the opening of the hose (the end to stick in the can). It creates a vacuum and pulls the gas out of the tank.... No nasty gas in your mouth. :D

I'm not sure blowing air across a tube to siphon gasoline is exactly an "EDIT" OSHA compliant (not approved) de-fueling method. I'd advise you to use a siphon hose or the fuel pump if possible.......less chances of a conflagration!

I have used both the siphon and fuel pump method. To siphon gas from the tank, the drain hose will have to be below the tank and the lower the better. You might even put the car on jack stands, so the hose can be lower at the outfall end. I was able to get a small clear hose into the tank, blow into the hose until you heard "bubbles" which told me the end of the hose in the tank was below gas level, and then start sucking on it till you saw gas coming through the clear hose. Keep hose low and it will drain the tank...or until the darn curly small diameter hose end ends up above the gas level. :frown:
At that point I would spin the hose, and start the process over.

When running a fuel pump to drain your tank, remove the plug at the end of the fuel rail, Place a rubber hose over the fuel rail end and run the hose into a fuel jug. Hot wire the stock pump (per instructions) or an auxiliary pump if you have one. I always removed the gas cap to (if I remembered)
A good auxiliary pump will empty the tank pretty quick. When you here the pump stutter shut it off. Not good for the pump to run dry.

Also try not to make sparks. :rolleyes:

OSHA does not "approve" anything. It has to be OSHA compliant. (this is my job)

:biggrin: