Proper installation for new CK servo spring

Warrant

I will probably answer my question once I pull the servo out, but on the that new $10 CK spring, Im guessing it goes over the pin, between the case, and the piston correct? Wouldn't make much sense to be between the cover and piston, and I don't think there is any other place to put it.

Heading out there now to work on it, thought I should ask to be sure.

Thanks

Got the servo out, I'm running the ck servo and I have a smaller diameter, little bit longer, lighter spring on the pin than the new one, its painted white. I assume I remove this one and put the new one in its place? They don't both fit.

hopefully chris will jump in soon (it is the weekend after all) but it sounds like you have it correct.

Bob

Got the servo out, I'm running the ck servo and I have a smaller diameter, little bit longer, lighter spring on the pin than the new one, its painted white. I assume I remove this one and put the new one in its place? They don't both fit.

Yes, remove the white spring and replace it with the spring you got from Chris.

Did this mod yesterday. Pretty cut and dry. Also shimmed the throttle valve in a effort to get rid of 2-3 hunt.

RL

Also shimmed the throttle valve in a effort to get rid of 2-3 hunt.
RL

Do you have the dual feed mod in the direct clutch? If you do the best way to get rid of the 2-3 hunt is by NOT opening up the direct clutch feed hole in the spacer plate. The hunt is caused by a sudden pressure drop in line pressure when the direct clutch is engaged. The direct clutch now needs twice the volume to engage with dual feed. The pump controls pressure by volume. At light throttle there is very little volume available. When the trans shifts into 3rd and the feed hole is opened up it's like opening the flood gates. The pressure drops off significantly to cause a pressure drop causing a down shift back into 2nd. As soon as 2nd applies the pressure comes back up and the trans upshifts into 3rd. It becomes a vicious circle until you apply more throttle to increase pump pressure (volume). Leaving the direct clutch feed hole the stock diameter controls the flow to the direct clutch and mimizes the pressure drop. I don't open up the direct clutch feed hole on any of the transmissions I build with dual feed unless the car is a track car only where you run at WOT only. On a street driven car I leave that feed hole alone. None of those have a 2-3 hunt issue.

Do you have the dual feed mod in the direct clutch? If you do the best way to get rid of the 2-3 hunt is by NOT opening up the direct clutch feed hole in the spacer plate. The hunt is caused by a sudden pressure drop in line pressure when the direct clutch is engaged. The direct clutch now needs twice the volume to engage with dual feed. The pump controls pressure by volume. At light throttle there is very little volume available. When the trans shifts into 3rd and the feed hole is opened up it's like opening the flood gates. The pressure drops off significantly to cause a pressure drop causing a down shift back into 2nd. As soon as 2nd applies the pressure comes back up and the trans upshifts into 3rd. It becomes a vicious circle until you apply more throttle to increase pump pressure (volume). Leaving the direct clutch feed hole the stock diameter controls the flow to the direct clutch and mimizes the pressure drop. I don't open up the direct clutch feed hole on any of the transmissions I build with dual feed unless the car is a track car only where you run at WOT only. On a street driven car I leave that feed hole alone. None of those have a 2-3 hunt issue.
What about non dual feed apps. I have 2 cars 1 is dual feed hunts...other is not an it also hunts.

Yep, it feels different. No hunting yet either.:D

I know the washer thing is a band aid. Not sure how my spacer plate is set up but more than likely it's drilled.

RL

What about non dual feed apps. I have 2 cars 1 is dual feed hunts...other is not an it also hunts.
What mods did you do to the non dual fed transmission? Are you opening up the direct clutch feed hole? If so, how much? How much clearance in the direct clutch pack? Are you doing any mods to the pump? Any mods to the intermediate servo? Any other mods?

Yep, it feels different. No hunting yet either.:D

I know the washer thing is a band aid. Not sure how my spacer plate is set up but more than likely it's drilled.

RL

it should have moved your min throttle shift points up a little, let me know what you think after a couple days' driving.

What mods did you do to the non dual fed transmission? Are you opening up the direct clutch feed hole? If so, how much? How much clearance in the direct clutch pack? Are you doing any mods to the pump? Any mods to the intermediate servo? Any other mods?
Mike I will send a PM when I have a few...lunchtime...gonna be lengthy. Instead of getting thread on my own agenda. :)

it should have moved your min throttle shift points up a little, let me know what you think after a couple days' driving.

It did move the min throttle shift up slightly. Why the washer works verses tightening the tv cable has me wondering.

Not much driving this past week. It's too flippin hot out. Suppose to cool off Sunday. Hope for more seat time then.

RL

its supposed to hit 98 here...... yuck.

post your thoughts on the min throttle shifts, as well as what you think of the servo spring change, once you get more drive time, thanks.

Bob