Prop/Combo Valve Recall

Orion231

I went to the local Buick Dealership and took them the gnttype.org recall pages they looked it up and it doesn't exist...I called Buick, they looke dit up, nothing exists... So how dfo I get my combo valve replaced with the brass one? :mad:

I believe the recall for the valve was only for the estate wagon using the cast valve and power master system. It did not effect the turbo cars to my knowledge.

HTH's
Bob

I just got mine done, all I did was print out the GNTTYPE recall and bring it to them.
The recall number is older, so they had to cross reference it to a newer number.
Tell them to do it or you will sue them.
Get them to look HARDER for the recall.

The old cast iron one sucks air at times.

This recall is not applicable to U.S. turbo vehicles. You can threaten all you want and get no where from a U.S. dealer. It is a corporate mandate, not a dealer option.

Nick is correct. This recall DOES NOT APPLY to our cars, INCLUDING cars exported to Canada.

Also, any GM dealer can access any recall for any GM vehicle on his PC in two seconds flat by year, make and model. You don't need to know anything but 1987 Buick Regal, not even the VIN, for openers.

Exploding the myth...

:D

Recall...

Then why the hell is it on gnttype??!! That kind of stuff angers me because I thought my combo/prop valve was faulty... Well I guess after I replace the rear wheel cyclinders and all the brake lines with ss lines, and it still don't hold boost I can blow soemthing up.... :mad:

Re: Recall...

Originally posted by Orion231
Then why the hell is it on gnttype??!! That kind of stuff angers me because I thought my combo/prop valve was faulty... Well I guess after I replace the rear wheel cyclinders and all the brake lines with ss lines, and it still don't hold boost I can blow soemthing up.... :mad:

You need to chillout. The gnttype list posted the GM recall and it says rather plainly it applies to Canada only.

If you have a brake problem, I would assure you it is NOT the prop valve. Never seen, or even know, of a verifable problem on a Regal with one.

Don't know what your level of experience is but just reading and going to fix something is only part of the answer. If it was just that simple, there would be no well paid techs, any clod could just repair high tech items.

Brakes are rather simple in operation and not difficult to get right. Like lots of others, including myself, when help is needed, someone is available to assist.

Don't blame a free, well intentioned, very informative web site for your inadaquacies or your car problems.:rolleyes:

Chilling out...

First off I have great appreciation for tb.com and gnttype.org but when something is listed on GnTtype, about a faulty braking system component it should at leats explain what it applies to. I did not see where it said doesn't apply to US vehicles... Also a friend of mine here had his GN prop valve recalled but he lives 70 miles away. I am very frustrated because it seems like whatever I do to the brakes it is no use and I cannot get anywhere. It doesn't help when I get online and see this service that should have been preformed to my car and yet it is either non existent or not available to me... I'm not bashing the board or GnTtype, I only wished they would have left a small paragraph saying "This recall is good for Cananda only, no US vehicle came with this type or prop/combo valve..." Something simple to ease confusion.
Weren't all GNS manufactured in the US? Why would they get a different prop valve? Doesn't make sense. Please explain but understand I am not angry at the board just the misinformation and problem in general. :(

I'll explain by saying that I have 2 Canadian cars, assembled in Pontiac, MI, like every other 87 GN or T, "back home" in the States now, and they have the same prop valve as any other 87 GN or T.

I took the GN to a dealer here for the brake switch recall. I was told, and the dealer was very clear about this, that the prop valve recall DID NOT APPLY to my GN.

Therefore, I'm of the belief that the prop valve recall is a good campfire story, but DOES NOT APPLY.

:D

Dog gone it Nick, if there is someone I hate to disagree with, its you! BUT..........several have replaced the old cast PV with the brass one and it has made a difference. I have done both of my cars and several from around the 'hood and we all agreed that we were able to hold more boost than previously. I truly believe they have a tendency to suck air, especially as they get older and become corroded. For $45 and a little time, it is well worth it IMO.

I don't care about recalls cuz I typically won't let anyone else touch my car anyway! Except maybe you!!!!!

Hank

Originally posted by Turbocars
Dog gone it Nick, if there is someone I hate to disagree with, its you! BUT..........several have replaced the old cast PV with the brass one and it has made a difference. I have done both of my cars and several from around the 'hood and we all agreed that we were able to hold more boost than previously. I truly believe they have a tendency to suck air, especially as they get older and become corroded. For $45 and a little time, it is well worth it IMO.

I don't care about recalls cuz I typically won't let anyone else touch my car anyway! Except maybe you!!!!!

Hank

Yeah Hank, I tend to suck air too as I get older and corroded!

Always glad to get good info as we are all continiously learning. Since the "serious" cars I work on have trans brakes, holding high boost with brakes has not been a concern. However, next time a local has this problem with his brakes, will see if a cast iron prop valve is "sucking"!

Part Numbers...

Ok that is more like it... I plan on ordering the SS braided brake lines upgrade the new brass prop/combo valve, installin glong shoes and new cyclinders and I should be all set. What year model S-10 rear wheel cyclinders do I get? Or should I just stay with stock if I get the prop valve changed...? ;)

Originally posted by Two Lane
Do we have a PN for the brass one? TIA!
GM# 25509419 -- I still have my new combination valve in the box.
List price approx $78-80. Even with the high Shipping charges from GMpartsDirect.com added in, it would be around $48 from them.

Thanks, Tom!

Tom's reply with a PN is another fine example of how we enjoy helping one another whenever we can!

There are great people on this board who restore your faith in humanity every day!

:)

Thank You!

Thanks! Maybe this post will let everyone know that the prop/combo valve should be replaced! I appreciate the effort! :D I'll see if I can get one soon and post results after install.