Progress pics of #301.

Snorman

Boosted.
The car is with a local guy who Reaper231 has used, and he's pretty freakin' good.
Basically, he's painting where it needs painted, compounding what can be "cleaned up" and smoothing out the entire body. Both rear quarters and the rear bumper cover have been sprayed, both lower doors and he's doing the hood too. The color matches perfectly...even being white.
Notice how the rear hatch has been straightened where it was sticking out from the passenger quarter about 3/4".
Also, he's refinishing the wheels on the car, replacing the front fender liners, miscellanous emblems, trim, etc..
The car will look great when I get it back in a week or two.
What I plan on having is a driver that'll squeak into the 11's on pump, deep into the 11's on good gas, look close to show quality and the owner (me for now!) won't worry about driving it or putting miles on the odometer.
I'll be doing a few things inside...new console and and shift plate, PW switches, PM switch, recover the wheel...that's about it. Seats and carpet were already done by the previous owner.
Anyway, here are some pics...
Rear quarter 1
Rear quarter 2
Rear quarter 3
Rear bumper cover
Aero wing
:biggrin:
S.

j13smiley said:
can't view your pics without registering on that forum :(

can you host them somewhere else?
Yeah...I was logged in and didn't realize that.
I'll get them on imageshack in a minute.

Grumpy...I'm leaving the decals on...why?
:confused:
S.

Cool...I can't edit my posts to insert the pics. :rolleyes:
Here they are...

skiprightquarter2kh.jpg

skiprightquarter24tx.jpg

skiprightquarter31fn.jpg

skiprearbumper4jt.jpg

skipwing7ce.jpg

S.

I don't like them ..to "me" it say's "redneck" even more :p :biggrin: AND cops remember it easier :cool:

Are you reuseing the original rear wing or is that a new fiberglass wing? If you are reusing the old one was it cracked? If so how was it repaired? I have been thinking about repairing mine and was hoping to learn from experience. Mine is only cracked on the right hand corner where it connects to the rear hatch. The top part and sides are good.:)

That's the original wing, and it has a tiny crack in the same place as your wing.
It "can't" be repaired. As I understand, the crack is from the deterioration of the inner, metal frame of the wing.
I may replace it at a future date, as it's quick job for my guy...but not right now.
S.

I agree with Grumpy about the door decals but would not go out of my way to remove them if they were already installed. There may be some paint fade, showing the lettering if they are removed after being on the car for 16 yrs. My car has them on and when the time comes and body work is involved they will not be installed again...if needed I would probably have the decals placed on magnets like so many others have done for parades and such.

I see no reason to even attempt repairing the rear spoiler, time and money involved just doesn't seem worth it. I will be replacing mine with the fiberglass.

Although I have not looked at removing my spoiler(hell, I haven't looked at my car for almost two years) I would guess that if you remove the plastic plugs(not sure if plugs(soft plastic) are used or a plastic panel covers the nuts/bolts but someone will correct me:))when the hatch is opened.

I found the plastic plugs you were refering to but also see some kind of clips that run along the long sides up towards the roof on both sides of the glass. I'm wondering if they also play some roll in holding the wing down at speed? I'm nervous about f'ing up the plugs and/or clips trying to get them off. I also will replace this wing with a fiberglass unit when it comes off...saves a ton of weight and will not crack like the stocker. So far my OE wing has not cracked and I'd like to keep it that way if I can. Now I need to find a good reproduction rear wing....any leads?

turbov6joe,
I'll be over at the shop this weekend and try to get some pics of the clips.
The wing sits on the deck, then slides forward and the clips "grab" the wing at the front mounting points.
The clips are housed in metal frames that are spot welded to the frame of the rear hatch.
The clips are replaceable, and still available through gmpartsdirect.com
S.

turbov6joe said:
...saves a ton of weight and will not crack like the stocker.

Two things, yes the Stocker MAY be heavy, but the weight is PERFECTLY placed at the right spot for GREAT 60's!!

And two, I saw a Stock Rubber Wing at a show last year that HAD been repaired by a body shop with some sort of Rubber Repair (I'm saying rubber but I'm really not sure EXACTLY what it's made of) anyhow the repair was PHENOMINAL and the body shop guy who owned the car said it was quite easy.....I have a Very Small crack just developing on the driver side, I would imagine it started cause I was the FIRST to ever race this car...and I'm gonna try this repair avenue first....

I dont recommend doing the repair route. I had a body shop do mine, and it lasted about 6 months. Looked great one day, the next it was cracked to heck. I'm going to get the fiberglass one from hawksthirdgen. I heard they are the best fitting. 72Firebird said he was going to get it and let us know how it fit.

HTH Jason

I had one go bad on my 89 GTA (19K miles) and I found one that was used in good shape. The corner cracks can not be repaired. The one I used even though it was in good shape had lots of hairline cracks on the top, which had to be cut out and filled with a material for the urethane (sp?). After lots of filling and sanding (being carefull not to flex the tips) the spoiler was painted and placed on the car once dry. I must of had 80 hours in that spoiler. :mad:

If I had to do it again, I would just get the fiberglass one.

- Dave

Snorman said:
turbov6joe,
I'll be over at the shop this weekend and try to get some pics of the clips.
The wing sits on the deck, then slides forward and the clips "grab" the wing at the front mounting points.
The clips are housed in metal frames that are spot welded to the frame of the rear hatch.
The clips are replaceable, and still available through gmpartsdirect.com
S.

I had a feeling that the wing slid on to those clips but wasn't sure how...thanks for the info, that's what I was looking for! Do you know if the plastic plugs will come out without breaking or getting all boogered up??

The black plugs will come out easily just use a small flat blade screw driver and pop them out. You will also need to remove the plastic (beechwood/tan) cover as there's a couple of more bolts under there. Once all the bolts are removed you can slide the wing forward carefully and disangage the plastic clips you will also need to lift the wing carefully and remove the wires for the 3rd break light ... the connector is under the large plastic cover you removed previously (2 prong connector). Make sure you have 1 or 2 people help you as you will need to lift and hold the spoiler while disconnecting and feeding the 3rd break light wires through.

Get a fiberglass spoiler while you are at it, best investmenet I've done for sure.

My spoiler was cracked when I bought mine at 17K miles. I finally changed it out with the fiberglass one around 20K miles. Looked great and light weight also. You'll have to run a buffer on the deck to get those rust stains off though. Then put a nice coat of whatever wax you use before putting the new one on. You'd wish you would have done it a lot sooner.

FWIW, my short times didn't change :)